Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Tune-up apparently going bad!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Beginning Member
Hormisdas is on a distinguished road
Default Tune-up apparently going bad!!!

I've been doing a tune-up on the '95 Blazer I traded my car for back in March. It has 74,225 miles on it. I changed the front brakes - no problems. Today I changed the rear brakes, the sepentine belt, the air filter, the PCV valve, and the thermostat. I flushed the radiator and it's running on Peak Radiator Flush and water right now. I figured I'd let it percolate a bit and change it tomorrow with a full flush out the bottom hose. I cleaned what I can only imagine is the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner. Everything is back together for now, but the check engine light is on. I followed Chilton's instructions and unplugged both 20A fuses marked ECM. I left them out for two minutes before replacing them. I put in my key and started the truck. The check engine light flashed twice, then went out. After driving across town and half way back the light is on again. Also, how do I readjust the parking brake (too much pedal travel now. Please help!

Old 05-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Beginning Member

I think I figured it out. I'm pretty sure I forgot to plug in the MAF sensor connector. I shall see in the morning. Still don't know how to tighten up the parking break at the drum though.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:10 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 05-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Beginning Member

I reattached the MAF sensor wire and reset the ECM. That took care of the service engine light. Is the only adjustment for the parking brake the one in the cable?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Beginning Member

Still working on my tune-up. I flushed and filled my coolant sytem, and now it's leaking. I don't see anything coming form either end of the upper or lower hoses, reservoir hoses (including overflow), or thermostat housing. I'm at a loss. No coolant leaking on the interior carpet. It seems to be leaking from somewhere mid-engine or thereabout. It may be running back form the front shroud with the oil filter door in it, but I don't think so.

1995 Chevy Blazer 4x4 2Dr

Old 05-14-2012, 05:37 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Hormisdas
Still working on my tune-up. I flushed and filled my coolant sytem, and now it's leaking. I don't see anything coming form either end of the upper or lower hoses, reservoir hoses (including overflow), or thermostat housing. I'm at a loss. No coolant leaking on the interior carpet. It seems to be leaking from somewhere mid-engine or thereabout. It may be running back form the front shroud with the oil filter door in it, but I don't think so.

1995 Chevy Blazer 4x4 2Dr
You mean the center of the engine .. right to left as seen from front? Like about where the water pump is? very common for WP to start leaking after flush.
The seal around the shaft accumulates gunk which seals then unseals with the flush, and... not very often.. reseals again. Remove drive belt, wiggle fan. If WP pulley moves at all sideways, it aint gonna seal again. Bearings -though separate from the seal- are bad.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Beginning Member

I think it probably is the water pump. Is "GMB Performance New Water Pump" okay? What other parts - other than the gasket might I need?

Old 05-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Beginning Member

Should I replace the fan clutch too, or will it probably be okay?

Old 05-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Beginning Member

Help!!! I changed my water pump this evening. Still leaking from under the area of the alternator! Is it possible that I didn't get the thermostat housing tight? Was I supposed to use Permatex on the housing gasket? I used it on the water pump gaskets, but not the thermostat housing. All three gaskets are paper, with a synthetic rubber Felpro gasket around the new thermostat. I'm at my wit's end. Please Help!!!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Beginning Member

Definately not leaking from the thermostat or the hoses. It's leaking from the new water pump. Guess it's back to square one.

Quick Reply: Tune-up apparently going bad!!!