Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Tune-Up Time

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Starting Member
elementalnature is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tune-Up Time

Doing my first tune-up at 120k. Picked a set of NGK Spark Plugs, Autolite Spark Wires, a BWD Distributor Cap and a BWD Ignition Rotor Button. What do you guys think of this. I know most people have opinions on parts. And does anyone have any guides as to how to do a tune-up?

Old 04-13-2008, 04:24 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Tune-Up Time

Two words of advice - take back the NGK plugs and get AC Delco instead; while at the auto store pick up a Haynes or Chilton manual for your truck.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Starting Member

Hmm. Anything wrong with the NGK plugs?

Old 04-13-2008, 04:30 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

There are just too many threads here about folks having trouble with the way their Blazer runs after installing anything except AC Delco. When they took out the new 'other brand' and put in the AC's - problem solved!

Old 04-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Starting Member

Hmm.. okay we'll see about it. Other parts okay?

Old 04-13-2008, 05:32 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I being one of those P0300 people.You want factory original parts or better. These engines eat cheap parts within no time. Mine ran for 3 months before it ate my plug wires, and cap & rotor. Unfortunately, I was 250 miles from home with my vehicle packed full of my family in the middle of downtown Chicago. Took us a long, long, long time to limp it home. then it took several months and several trips to the dealer before I got it fixed. Not too mention a new starter, new FPR, and a new coil packin the process.

Edited to add this.
The 4.3L engine since '96 is a high performance engine. It needs performance parts. The cheap crap wont work for very long.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Starting Member

Yeah I was told we have the "Experimental" engines. The engines that almost everything wrong with them lol.
Edit: I have a 94. lol

Old 04-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

NGK is a very good brand of plug. The difference is when you replace a double platinum plug with a regular copper plug. The life will not be anywhere near the same between the two. You will likely get a hotter spark with a copper plug, but you will be messing with them a LOT more to maintain the gap properly.

The 3800 supercharged motor in my old '01 Bonneville came standard with NGK double platinum plugs to which I swapped out for NGK v-groove plugs which performed better, but required much more maintenance and an excellerated replacement schedule to keep things at peak performance.

The AC Delco double platinums do work better in the '96+ SCFI motors.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Starting Member

I currently have.. the NGK V-Power Spark Plug.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:24 PM
strong blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

use ac delco its like putting ford engine into a chevy it will work for minute but wont last lol

Quick Reply: Tune-Up Time