Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Two things Ive noticed, What are they?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 03:41 PM
stevenf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two things Ive noticed, What are they?

If the 97 Jimmy is left sitting for a few hours and I go start it, 1st gear is really loud, like the engine is reving high. After it shifts, the loudness goes away. Is this normal for cold tranmissions?
Also, When I make turns, I hear a sound like water shifting from side to side in the dash. I think it has to do with the a/c but dont know what it is. Any ideas?

Old 04-30-2008, 03:47 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Two things Ive noticed, What are they?

The water sound is because you have air in your cooling system. A quick search will tell you how to get rid of the air. To prevent it in the future, if you haven't already, get rid of the factory radiator cap and get a Standt.

As far as the high engine revs, could be high idle at start up to get the engine up to temp. Hopefully someone who knows a little more than me will chime in here on this one.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:47 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

The loudness in 1st gear could be the fan being engaged. Is it a loud suction sound almost...kind of a roar? Once you get up to speed (shift gears would also be neccessary) the air moves fast enough over the radiator to not need the fan to keep it cool..

As for the sloshing sound....you probably have an air pocket in your coolant system. Park with the front passenger side of the vehicle elevated and open the radiator caps (once the engine is cold!) and vent out the air and refill the system.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:00 PM

yes, you described the noise good. Is it something to worry about or do all of these things do it?
I planned to flush the radiator this weekend anyway, will this do the trick for the water noise.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:06 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

If you flush that should eliminate the heater core slosh. Does the 1st gear sound only happen say like every 15 starts or so. I have a noise that reminds me of a truck in low range taking off for a couple seconds taking off like every 15-25th start, but this is probably different since I think its due to my AWD transfer case.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:19 PM

Yeah, it doesnt happen often, I just figured it was a cold start. It almost feels like its in 4lo, the engine isnt bogged down, but it makes that lowed noise like the rpm's are reving high in 1st.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:08 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

My engine used to rev high like that, especially after idleing in a parking lot for a while, or after being parked while hot. Turned out to be my TPS.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:09 AM

How much did that fix cost you?

Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

about 10 minutes and the cost of the part.
I dont remember the cost fo the part. I think it was like $70 or so.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:03 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

not to piggyback but what is the TPS?

Quick Reply: Two things Ive noticed, What are they?