Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

The V8 Conversion Myths/Truths

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Shizer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The V8 Conversion Myths/Truths

Ok, I have been waiting for my 350 V8 for a month now,It's a first Gen. Now I have heard from people that it will fit, and from others it won't. This is what I have been told, First of all it will fit in my 4.3 v6 Spot and bolt right up to the 4x4 trans. I also heard that it can bolt right up to my V6 Motor mouts or the other way around, The V8 mouts will fit up to the Blazer. Another thing I also heard just the other night was that it won't fit because of the Diff in the front or something like that.Also heard I have to get a new Double hump oil pan. Any one here have a 1990 Model S-10 Blazer 4x4 with a 4.3 V6 that has put a First Gen V8 with out having to replace anything or change anything?

Old 07-24-2007, 04:10 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: The V8 Conversion Myths/Truths

Don't have any first hand experience. My brother plopped a TPI engine out of a Trans Am into his 1st Gen S10 pickup and I don't remember him getting a new oil pan. Then again that was a 2WD. Motor mounts were different, yes. Jags That Run offers some pretty in-depth info for this swap. Check them out here. They say that they put a V8 in a 4X4 Blazer using the stock transfer case, driveshafts, and front and rear axles and they held up well. Hope this helps!

Old 07-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, JTR is the place for S10 v8 conversion info for sure.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Check out the mod section. https://blazerforum.com/m_74069/tm.htm

Old 07-24-2007, 07:00 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes it will fit, but you do have to replace/modify several things...the motor mounts are the same design, but they mount farther forward on the V8, so you have to either build your own, or buy a set made for the conversion. Also the steering shaft has to be modified to clear the left exhaust manifold/header. The radiator has to be moved forward, and they say the best radiator to use is a stock one from a C4 (1984-1996) Corvette. I believe that in order to put one in a 4x4 you do in fact need to replace the oil pan to clear the front diff, but the rest of the drivetrain will work with the new engine, but I wouldn't expect it to hold up if you abuse it at all. You can buy a conversion kit with just about anything you need to do the swap from Jegs, or so I've heard.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Shizer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Guys this information is really usefull.