Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Vacuum Line to Nowhere

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:46 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough
Default Vacuum Line to Nowhere

Hi Folks,
'98 Blazer LS, 4WD, 4.3L, stick tranny. I replaced my transfer case switch and am in the process of changing/cleaning the vacuum lines as they sucked up fluid. Using the useful info here GMC Sonoma & Chevy S-10 Transfer Case Vacuum Switch However, I came up on a short piece of vacuum line that appears to be disconnected, but I cannot find where it would be disconnected from. In the photo I am specifically referring to the short piece of line you see disconnected coming off the tee. The line on the opposite side of the tee is the main vacuum source line that goes to the intake area. This is my third Blazer and does not have the "baseball" vacuum reserve at least one of my other Blazer's had mounted to the hood. So I'm pretty sure it did not come with that piece in the first place. I looked closely at the hood and there was nothing that would indicate anything had ever been mounted and then removed. I read a couple of other threads on the forum regarding vacuum lines and they do not seem to address my specific problem. Can anyone please help me out and inform me what the deal is with short piece of line? Where is it supposed to attach? Is it meant to not be connected (which I couldn't imagine). Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks to all!

Attached Thumbnails Vacuum Line to Nowhere-vacumline.jpg  
Old 11-20-2012, 09:22 PM
aa21830 is on a distinguished road

Sometime after the '96 models, they did away with the vacuum ball hanging from the hood. Your vaccuum reservoir is tucked it away, out of sight, in the driver's side fender well area. Take a look at the pictures here...will show you what you're looking for. Feel around for the nipple, or get a flashlight and a mechanics mirror. Very difficult to see unless you remove all that ABS stuff.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:54 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

aa21830...YOU ROCK!... Using a mechanics mirror I was able to find the nipple. Now for the rest of the story for anyone that might run into the same issue. When I found the nipple my elation was quickly tempered as I noticed the hose had tore off right at the end of the nipple. The nipple is under an overhang bracket that is used to bolt the fender side of the ABS bracket. Tried half a dozen tools (as well as working in reverse with a mirror) and I just could not get to the broken line on the nipple. Finally (what I should have done in the beginning) I removed the 3 bolts securing the Fuze Relay Center and moved it over. Then removed the 4 bolts that mounted the ABS. This gave me about 3 or 4 inches to work with that was just enough for me to get a very small screwdriver working and get the old hose off the nipple. This part was completely by feel, and luckily it was dry rotted enough that it only took 2 or 3 attempts at lifting the rubber off the nipple. Cut a section of new 5/32 hose and applied to the "hidden nipple" and the other end to the tee. If I had started right off with moving the Fuze Relay and the ABS (very carefully), the whole job is only 10-15 minutes. Thanks again aa!