Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

VOLTS dropping HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 06:37 PM
972DRBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default VOLTS dropping HELP

I have a 97 blazer 4.3 vin w. every time i use something like the turnsignal, my volts drop. i can watch my volt guage bounce to the rythem of my turnsignal. if i use my headlights, a/c, and other things at the same time, my volts drop.

i have replaced and added bigger ground cables, and put in a new battery. and it still happens. if i pull my positive battery cable off, it will continue to run. if i turn the headlights on with the cable off, my engine cuts off.

what could the problem be? maybe my alt. this problem has been going on for a while now, but i thought it was no big deal. now it is getting worse, and i need to get it fixed.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: VOLTS dropping HELP

I would start by having your alternator tested.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:34 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Yep check the alternator, it seems to be working a little bit, enough to keep the engine running atleast, but it should also be charging the battery enough to run the accessories with out draining the system. Go to Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, or Napa and they will run an alternator test for ya.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:15 PM
ltown21 is an unknown quantity at this point

ha ha mine does this too and Im almost positive that its going to leave me stranded someday. The gauge moves even when I use the brakes sometimes. And sometimes it drops to 12 or so at stoplights :/

Old 02-19-2008, 11:34 AM

ok, i was hopeing for something cheaper, but that is my luck. i will pull it off this weekend and have it tested (not enough time now). i will let you know the results. are these alternators rebuildable? and if so, are they easy to rebuild? thank you for your help.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:22 PM

i changed my alternator today. i put on a new one, not reman or used. i still have the same problem. anybody have any ideas?

Old 02-24-2008, 03:29 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

how long have you had all the extra mods in it???

Old 02-24-2008, 04:10 PM
DlJr82 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: 972DRBLAZER

i changed my alternator today. i put on a new one, not reman or used. i still have the same problem. anybody have any ideas?
I had the same issue with my 95, replaced alternator and still had the same problem. It turned out to be the charge back wire was bad.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:08 PM
ershealy is an unknown quantity at this point

In your mods, did you happen to put on an underdrive belt pulley?

This slows down the drive belt and frees up power, but it also spins the accessories slower. Mostly a good thing, but the alternator does not charge as well.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:05 PM

the problem was there before i started any upgrades. i dont have any underdrive pulleys.
what wire is the charge back. i have 3 wires on my alt.

Quick Reply: VOLTS dropping HELP