Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Vortec V6 manifold 2001 blazer heater core intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Beginning Member
clhenry is on a distinguished road

Thanks Captain Hook. I got the 3 bolts and one nut/stud from the AC bracket. Also found one on the bottom "Had to remove the plastic cover underneath to get to it", that holds the lift hook which is connected to the bracket. But it still won't bulge. Can not find any other bolts/nuts.

As a side note, i shipped past this for now and finished removing things. I got the upper manifold off, and now have to remove the distributor to get to the manifold off. How would you mark this since the manifold is being removed?

Old 03-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Distributor: Rotate the crankshaft clockwise using a socket and ratchet on the vibration dampener until the rotor points exactly at the "6" on the distributor housing. You are now at TDC compression for #1 cylinder. Don't move the crankshaft! Pull the distributor out. When installing, the rotor must point at the "6" when fully seated in the manifold.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Beginning Member

Success. Now for a good cleanup and then reassembly.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:09 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

lookin good...make sure you note that the manifold bolts are inch-lbs not ft-lbs....have read some surprised people at this torque...but you look like you have everything well under control.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Beginning Member

Good news with a little bit of bad. The bad was me being stupid.

Got it all back together. Was worried about the timing. Just wouldn't line up right. So i started rotating it counter clockwise, sitting it in, back out and rotate some more. After 2 complete rotations it finally fell in and looked pretty good. Started it up. Kicked right off, but sounded like it was running on 5 cylinders. Knew it was spark and not timing, so i started checking wires. Noticed my # did not match. Had 2 wires crossed. Switched them and runs nice. Let it idle and stated looking for leaks after it warmed up. None found. Now the bad news. It over heated, and no heat out of the heater. So i would imagine the thermostat isn't working. Going to switch it out. Should take care of the problem.

Would really like to flush the engine before putting it in, but i'm not able to get my big hands on the radiator drain plug.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Why not just pull the lower hose off the radiator... much faster, (and bigger mess )

Best way to flush is through the heater hoses. Remove both of them from the heater core, kink off one hose and flush through the other, then vice versa. Then both directions through the heater core and radiator.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:31 PM
aa21830 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by clhenry
Now the bad news. It over heated, and no heat out of the heater. So i would imagine the thermostat isn't working. Going to switch it out. Should take care of the problem.
Are you sure you don't just have an air pocket in the radiator hose? I had that happen once. The big hose on top that goes into the thermostat usually won't fill up on its own, where it comes out the driver's side of the radiator.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Beginning Member

Running like a champ. All is well.
Thanks everybody for the help and guidance. Was a nice learning experience.