Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Well I only got 150k out of her...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Silver00LT is on a distinguished road
Default Well I only got 150k out of her...

I got her at 100k and did maintenance like no other...actually stopped mudding after two runs to keep her lasting longer. On the way to church though transmission slipped out of OD like it has in the past....did it three times, but once I could not turn off cruise before she redlined. Was continuing down the road noticed mist on my windshield and looked at the sky...clear. Was like oh no....looked at my coolant gauge 215* which is 25* hotter than where she normally runs. Mile down the road she was getting close to 240* so I pulled over and turned her off. Popped the hood expecting to see coolant everywhere(heater core just went out last Sunday so been having to top it off daily til I got the funds to replace it.)

This is what I found.....

For at least 100 yards there was two areas of drops like this same size...for probably a good mile. I just walked 100 yards. When tow truck came she had a gd qt under her....bled to death. She cranked up and ran, but I kept her off due to unknown amount of oil in her.

She is at my repair shop waiting to be looked at tomorrow. But I am avoiding ANY engine repairs due to her already having bleeding lifters. Looking forward to a nearly $5k repair cost....keeping her because can not afford anymore hits on my credit and I combined a bunch of separate loans on the truck title so it has a lein on it.

What I am looking forward to:
Jasper engine(3 yr/100k warranty)
New engine mounts(already needing replacement)
Heater Core
Getting that transmission looked at

I've known these guys for awhile now and we are on the same mind set.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Starting Member
Senshi09 is on a distinguished road

that makes me sad.. it looks so very painful.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:58 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

THAT STINKS MAN.

if you do replace the mounts. Save hassle and buy polyurethane mounts. 4.3 mounts SUCK. Make sure you change the trans mount to poly too.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:55 PM

I will look into those....trying not to think through options until I find out quotes to fix it tomorrow.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:00 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

throw a used engine in, will save you close to $1500... just find a used one from a yard with like 50k on it... got mine for $525 with 49k mi on it..... was from a 2003... came complete with new spider an all, no issues.. where is all the oil leakin from? did you crack the block or did it just bust an oil line?

Old 08-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sucks, but +1 to the used motor route. Low mileage used motors are out there.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:39 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Agreed the cheapest route would be to look for a low mileage engine.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Starting Member
Frog is on a distinguished road

I used these mounts...S10 4.3 V6, High Performance Replacement Mounts for 2WD W-10 Trucks & Blazers, Stealth Conversions

They get completely away from the ol' crappy 4.3 mounts.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:44 PM

More cons than I care to deal with as far as a used engine. I do not have the time working 84 hours a week to put it in myself. What if something breaks on the engine after I pay to get it installed? I am liable for the repairs myself. Just not worth the risk right now guys.

But the engine is in ROUGH shape....I told him do not even bother trying to fix it just get me the Jasper quote.

Repairs past TWO weeks:
Both rear tires needing to be fixed
Fuel filter went out left me stranded...was able to blow out the debris to get home
Heater core busting
Now this

Just need to get this truck back on the road and no need to worry about a used component failing...it is the vehicle my kids ride in every time I have them and main transportation...needs to be reliable. Work is hard to get a day off or even emergency leave...can not get in hot water at work either.

Last edited by Silver00LT; 08-29-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:47 PM

Going to cost $4400. Saves me from a car loan and I get 3 years out of this engine warrantied.

Quick Reply: Well I only got 150k out of her...