Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

What is with these throttle position sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 09:37 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default What is with these throttle position sensors?

Hey everyone. I was originally getting some weird shifting 1-2 and 2-3 and into R or D in December and I replaced the throttle position sensor. I used a Napa Mileage Plus sensor and that seemed to improve things alot. However, lately, it has been acting up again. Going into R or D instantly and hard (pressure control solenoid was replaced 12/2007 and there are no codes, so that can't be it), shifting a bit hard but slowly, hesitating and sometimes feels like double shifting, especially when I slowly increase the throttle and it does that. I originally thought it was the A/C (that did contribute), but turning it off didn't eliminate the problems. I checked the fluid and it doesn't seem to have significantly changed in color since it was changed in December 2010 at 98-99k (I have 106,800 on it now). I have a deep pan, transmission cooler and 1/2 a quart of Lucas in the pan (been using it for over a year and a half/20k. No problems, improves shifting in the winter. I had a full bottle put in 88k after a trans flush and I had only half put in this time since only the fluid in the pan was changed and I don't want to overdose it and blow the seals.). Transmission temperatures ranged between 95 and 120F in town using an IR thermometer on the trans cooler line or the cooler itself or the pan (all 3 agree with each other). I replaced the sensor again tonight with a BWD sensor and it shifts like a new truck in town. Shifts nice and it seems to go into R or D a bit softer, but still as quick as before. I even gave it a slow "kickdown" to 3500rpm and it downshifted better than before. Trans temps were a bit higher (2 readings after stopping, one was 125F, one was 135F. ), but they were still low for a transmission (in the past two months it was never higher than 135F), which is good. It shifts alot better, but here is the thing: The BWD sensor and the Napa Mileage Plus sensor are IDENTICAL (color, shape, lettering color and font, spring on the sensor arm, seal color) except for one number in the code. Do these sensors damage easily or something and cause the trans to act up without throwing a code? I was thinking about computers and bad data (garbage in (bad sensor data)/garbage out(trans acting strange)) and how the sensor would only throw a code if the sensor data was out of range or non responsive or the numbers indicated a short or open circuit, but not so much false data within acceptable ranges (like with wheel bearings and the ABS sensors).

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 09-02-2011 at 10:16 PM.