Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

What tranny do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:47 PM
bobslsc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What tranny do I have?

Need help in determining what transmission I have. It is a '93 GMC Jimmy with 4.3 Vortec engine. The trans is starting to slip after 153,000 miles. I think I'll just look for a replacement tranny to swap, but what trans should I be lookin' for?

Old 11-30-2007, 09:58 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: What tranny do I have?

700r4 ?

Old 11-30-2007, 10:06 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

In '93 you would have either the 4L60 or the 4L60E. "E" is for electronic shift and you should have a wiring harness with a bunch of wires to the transmission.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:04 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

yep, on the S10-Blazer '93 was the first year of the electronic tranny. Prior to that it was the 700R4, then 4L60, and then the 4L60E. To verify crawl under the truck and look at the passengers side of the tranny. If you see a wiring harness, its a 4L60E, if you see a black cable, its a 700R4/4L60.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:09 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

[:@]i was off by a year

Old 12-01-2007, 12:22 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: otnietdehoooo

[:@]i was off by a year
700R4/4L60/4L60E are basicaly the same trannies. I took teh clutch packs out of my '00 4L60E tranny and put them in my '87 700R4, and the '87 700R4 was a 60 degree tranny. That means it wont bolt up to a 4.3 or a V8.

GM used the 700R4 from the early '80s to the ealry '90s. Then it switched to the 4L60 until '93. In '93 GM went with the 4L60E.

Off by a year, not really. They are all basically the same thing. The only difference is the valve body and how its controlled. [8D]

Old 12-01-2007, 04:27 AM
bobslsc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the good info on the trannys. Now I need to locate one in decent shape.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:41 PM
BF Veteran

Why, rebuild your current one. 90% of the time when your tranny gets rebuilt it is better then stock. There are a bunch of little tricks rebuilders do to inprove teh performance and reliability of the tranny. A used tranny will cost you half a rebuilt one. Check the Self-Help Section. I did a write up on how to drop the tranny, that will save some cost. Installation is reverse of removeal.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:15 PM
bzmotoninja83 is an unknown quantity at this point

edit: i have a 96 blazer 4><4 and got the trans from a 97 4><4

i bought a rebuilt one, even though used. it was rebuilt less than a year ago. wht only questions i have are this. the bad trans has a casting on it that reads 4l60e 3.3where as the rebuilt reads 4l60e 4.3. someone told me that someone swapped a 2wd trans in or its just a casting #. also the sticker on the top of the bad one says 6TAD where the new one has 7TAD. idk if thats a major diff. my main wuestion is whats the trick to getting the tranny back it? my mech had a hell of a day getting it out.... do we need to drop the oil pan to get at teh converter bolts?

Old 09-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No need to spread your question around...

Quick Reply: What tranny do I have?