Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

What type of spark plugs are you using??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Starting Member
ExplicitYourSelf is on a distinguished road
Default What type of spark plugs are you using??

I cerious, What type of spark plug is everybody using on there blazers... I have always used standard AC delco spark plugs on my blazer. I have also owned a few hondas in the past and trusted the NGK brand on my cars from the past. I just ran into this link and im thinking of going with the V power plugs on my blazer. What are your expiriences with spark plugs and what are you using now?? What do you daily drivers normally gap your spark plugs at??

http://www.prostreetonline.com/o/spark_plug.asp

Old 06-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Starting Member
blazeitupdrgonzo is on a distinguished road

Im wondering what kind of plugs to put in my blazer as well , i have the 4.3 vortec. I was thinking of putting in iradium tipped ngk's . I think most plugs come pregapped now.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:41 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

^^ stay with AC/Delco's your engine will thank you. ive got just over 56000mi so im still running the factory stockers, but within the next month or two AC/Delco double platinums will be going in.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Starting Member

Hmm... Double platnium. Ill look into that meanwhile. Keep them coming

Old 06-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Starting Member
danmiranda is an unknown quantity at this point

I ran ACDelco stock plugs before I sold my Blazer. I just bought stock plugs again today for my Sonoma. Trust me, you don't want to run anything else. I heard other people try different spark plug wires though.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Double platinum plugs from both NGK and AC Delco were installed at the factory. I have seen these 4.3L engines with factory plugs with the passenger side having NGK plugs and the driver side having AC Delco on two separate instances. Vehicles were both bought brand new and never had the plugs serviced until I took them out.

So either of these are good choices.

I liked the the NGK v-groove plugs in my old 2001 Bonneville SSEi, but that was primarily due to the fact that I dropped a few heat ranges which limited the options. The biggest problem with any copper plug or even single platinum plug is the wear. They will wear out much faster than a double platinum or a premium iridium plug.

I currently have NGK Laser Iridium plugs in my Rainier and they are performing very well. These plugs have a fine wire iridium center electrode with a platinum tipped ground electrode. This gives you the benefit of a more consistent spark due to the fine point on the iridium center electrode with the long life that both iridium and platinum have to offer.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Double platinum plugs from both NGK and AC Delco were installed at the factory. I have seen these 4.3L engines with factory plugs with the passenger side having NGK plugs and the driver side having AC Delco on two separate instances. Vehicles were both bought brand new and never had the plugs serviced until I took them out.

So either of these are good choices.

I liked the the NGK v-groove plugs in my old 2001 Bonneville SSEi, but that was primarily due to the fact that I dropped a few heat ranges which limited the options. The biggest *** with any copper plug or even single platinum plug is the wear. They will wear out much faster than a double platinum or a premium iridium plug.

I currently have NGK Laser Iridium plugs in my Rainier and they are performing very well. These plugs have a fine wire iridium center electrode with a platinum tipped ground electrode. This gives you the benefit of a more consistent spark due to the fine point on the iridium center electrode with the long life that both iridium and platinum have to offer.
So these laser irridium plugs will last quite a while?? Do you now proximitley how many miles it can hold up?? By the way i noticed there is a bar running through one of the spark plugs on the driver side. Do i need a spec tool for that, how can i get around it??

Old 06-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this thread for the #3 plug (found in the Tech Article section):
2nd Gen #3 Sparkplug Removal

As far as laser iridium plugs, they will last every bit as long as the double platinum plugs which are spec'd to last 100k miles. I would never leave a plug in that long without checking them after 25-30k miles though. 50-75k is what most people list as the realistic life span for the double platinum and premium iridium plugs (by premium I mean iridium center electrode plugs that have a platinum tipped ground electrode). The range is there due to driving condition differences.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:57 AM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I just bought my blazer and it, unfortunately, has Bosch plugs in it right now. I get horrible gas mileage. Ill be changing soon to A/C Delco

Old 06-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Starting Member

Yeah, ive heard bosch spark plugs are crap but i guess they make somthing good because almost every manufactuer tends o use there park plug wires from what i noticed

Quick Reply: What type of spark plugs are you using??