Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

whats a cam lol??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Beginning Member
TheNewKid is on a distinguished road
Question whats a cam lol??

ok so my new 4.3 vortec v6 i bought has a high dollar cam in it the engine was built to be a carb engine but i am makeing it into the fuel injected is there any reason for the cam and fuel injection not to work properlly together or should i just pull it out and put my stock cam in it out of my blown engine (if it still good)?????

96 chevy blazer 4x4 4 door my little toy

Old 09-14-2010, 07:45 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

In short, a camshaft controls the valves, whether or not they are opened and closed. Now if it is carb'd versus fuel injected, their could be some differences in their timing of the open/close ing of the valves.....

I know a bit about engines, and thats about all I can tell ya, wait until either later tonight or early tomorrow and prepare to learn quite a bit....

Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

do I sense a kyle speech?

Old 09-15-2010, 12:45 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

it make no difference, so long as the fuel delivery system (ie, the carb or throttle body) is up to the task of suppling enough fuel & air into the engine.

what are the specs of the cam, and whose cam is it?

Old 09-15-2010, 05:30 AM
R2P
Starting Member
R2P is on a distinguished road

If you don't know what a cam is it would probably be a good idea to have someone help you mess with it. Getting the timing off can be a pain to diagnose and fix.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would agree if you don't know what you are doing you could potentially damage your engine. Also I am almost positive the cams are different. Plus whats worse I don't beleve the valves are even the same for a carborator to fuel injection. I think the carb ones are bigger if i'm remembering so that might also be a determining factor. And yet one more problem I forsee, I don't think the cylinder head bolt patterns are the same so you wouldnt be able to just swap heads, or at least I'm pretty sure.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Beginning Member

well looks like i got more digging to do its a comp cam they only sell 3 for the vortec motor from what ive looked up i dont know the full specs yet comp cam is supposed to be emailing me on the actuall way to get what specs it is all i have is the roller rockers are 1.56s and and i have the roller hydrolic lifters the heads on this mototr are the same as the ones on my stock valves are the same size also so im still just a little confussed why the guy i got it from said it might not work with my fuel injected but if it dont work i guess my next project will be converting my blazer to carburated lol

Old 09-15-2010, 08:54 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

You are fine to put fuel injection on. The only thing you would need to do is take it to a Dyno to have it tuned. If not, you may be able to have your ECM flashed with fuel/timing tables for that cam. I'm in the process of tuning one of my vehicles currently. Depending on the cam specs, you should be able to toss the distributor in(if not already) and just set it to factory timing. Probably just start out at 0*. The new OBDII ECMs learn on their own. So, by the time you get it running and have driven to a Dyno, you would start to notice it running better.

Unless the cam is large enough to cause vacuum issues at idle, you should be fine to keep it in. Just hope they modified the valve guides if it has lift beyond what the heads can handle and that the valve springs are up to the task. Increased lift equates to more forces put on the springs.

It's not like the 4.3 is a popular engine for making power, so aftermarket heads arn't plentiful, which means that the cams can't be too radical.

Just do it and feel good that you've got more power and a better sounding engine.

The only reason it was going to be a carbed engine is because a lot of people think 'fuel injection' and get scared. It takes some money to buy the program and an ID for the ECM. After that, you spend a few days reading and you're off to a start. Just don't expect to get everything right the first time. I've been working on mine for over 6 months.

Last edited by TZFBird; 09-15-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:17 AM
Beginning Member

thanks for the info tzfbird my fun part now i found out is the heads on the new motor will not work with my intake but thankfully my heads from the old engine with fit on the new block so got my buddy at grooms engines going to rebuild them pretty cheap for me so ill be happy cause in my search for info on these motors aparently the heads on the 96-98 4.3 vortecs are better then the ones on the earlier modiles and my new motor is either a 93 or 94 motor but that dont matter all that matters is i will have my new engine fully built powder coated to my color sceam and hopefully installed with in the next month as long as no more problems arise if so you will be seeing my blazer up for sale or on youtube rolling off a cliff while on fire lol just jokeing but i will be posting the build soon enough already got the front end taken off and the engine tore down ready to be pulled so 1/4 the way there woo hoo

Old 09-17-2010, 08:47 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Do you need the angled bolt pattern vs. the straight bolt pattern for the intake?

Quick Reply: whats a cam lol??