Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Where is this whining coming from on my 03 ZR2???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 09:55 PM
NCSWP is on a distinguished road
Default Where is this whining coming from on my 03 ZR2???

I have a constant whining sound coming from what seems to be the top of the motor and I can't figure it out!
I replaced my alternator today because I thought that was it but the whining is still there. It's more of a constant drone, it doesn't vary except with RPM's...it doesn't seem to make any difference in the performance.
I replaced the water pump several years ago, PSP seems fine and doesn't whine when I turn the wheel, never loses a drop of water....

I don't get it...please help!

Old 02-14-2020, 12:02 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Have you looked at the belt? Anything else to go by? More discretion of a whine... my kids whine... some of my coworkers too lol

have you checked all hoses?

Old 02-14-2020, 03:52 PM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

The gear train is normally where I find whining, well, besides my wife and that comes from the passenger seat. I'd check your transmission fluid level.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:16 PM
Blaze'02 is on a distinguished road
Default Whining from an '03 ZR2

Have you given the distributor a listen? If you have a stethoscope put it on the distributor cap and listen. I recently had a rotor disintegrate under the cap on a '02 Blazer that gave the same type of droning noise from the top of the engine area. Hope you find your gremlin.

Old 02-15-2020, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by DonL
Have you looked at the belt? Anything else to go by? More discretion of a whine... my kids whine... some of my coworkers too lol

have you checked all hoses?
Yes and it is not the belt, from time to time if it's wet out the belt will give a whine but not the same type, this sounds like a bearing somewhere and it has maintained consistency for awhile.

Old 02-15-2020, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Blaze'02
Have you given the distributor a listen? If you have a stethoscope put it on the distributor cap and listen. I recently had a rotor disintegrate under the cap on a '02 Blazer that gave the same type of droning noise from the top of the engine area. Hope you find your gremlin.
I think you could be on to something! I did the old tried a true "stick method" (putting an old axe handle on parts and areas and put my ear to the other end in order to sense where the vibration and noise are coming from) and I would have sworn it was the alternator. I got it off, it had a slight noise when spun but not much and not much resistance, put the new one on, cranked it up and the same noise was still there. Also doesn't seem to be the power steering pump, I am really confused on this one! Thanks for your reply.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:27 AM
BF Veteran

Try a spray of wd40 on the tensioner wheel... I'm wondering if the bearing in it is going...

Old 02-16-2020, 01:15 PM

Try a spray of wd40 on the tensioner wheel... I'm wondering if the bearing in it is going...
I thought the same, I will and I pray it's something that simple!

Old 02-17-2020, 07:38 PM
BF Veteran

Any luck?

Old 02-18-2020, 12:30 PM

Any luck?
I haven't been able to look lately besides hit the central idler with WD40 and nothing. Can you oil the idler arm pulley? but here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJyD...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by NCSWP; 02-18-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Where is this whining coming from on my 03 ZR2???