Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Who's getting what for milage

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 07:30 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Who's getting what for milage

Im guessing around 13 or so right nowdue to the fact im almost always in 4hi.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:49 AM
GerryRig is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I thought I would start a thread on milage only.

Seems I have a problem with low MPG.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:17 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

i get 19-22 on about every tank. its mostly highway and interstate, i dont have to do much city driving. before my 20's it could stay up to 24 mpg

Old 12-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have said this in EVERY thread of this nature, but if you had read them all, you would already know this. Mileage varies A LOT. It depends on the vehicle, the tires, the terrain, the traffic, the outside temperature, and many, MANY other factors, not limited to how it is driven. So many factors that it is very difficult to say that your mileage is exceptionally low as to warrant digging into your engine to find ways to improve it. And again, so many factors that it is VERY difficult to compare.

You live in Michigan. In November, they switch over to the winter mix of fuel which improves cold starting, but also means lower mileage. Also, it's winter time, do you let your truck warm up in the morning? How is your air pressure in your tires? Are your tires larger/wider than stock tires? Different tire designs affect fuel mileage as well, are your tires different from stock? An aggressive all-terrain tread can have a much higher rolling resistance than a highway tire. In the newer GMT360 models, this has been found to cause upwards of a 3mpg loss in mileage going from the factory highway tires to a more aggressive tread pattern.