Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Wont go into park! Everything else OK.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Beginning Member
er.rigney is on a distinguished road
Default Wont go into park! Everything else OK.

Is it possible to adjust the gear selecter linkage on a 95 s10 blazer?

specs: Auto, 4wd, 6cyl

Old 06-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Search is a wonderful tool:
gear shift linkage

Please have patience. If you think you have posted a thread in the incorrect section, a member of the staff will move it for you. There is no need to post the same question over again in another section.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Beginning Member

I climbed underneath and moved the shift cable where it connects to the trans by hand forward into park. That seems to make it work fine for now. Is there an adjustment that should be made anyway? I couldn't really determine how it should be adjusted if I had to.

*Merged*

After climbing under and shifting into park. Started vehicle and shifted through all gears several times and it went back into park. As soon as I took it for drive the first place I stopped (you guessed it) NO PARK! Anyway, anyone know how to adjust the cable? I have a Chiltons manual and I can't find how to do it at all in the book.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you not see the link I posted above?

Please abide by the rules of the forum. This includes double posting and consecutive posting...

Old 06-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Beginning Member
Default how?

Yeah I used the link. Did you look at the link? It doesn't answer my question at all. I don't have a neutral safety switch problem. I have a cable adjustment problem. I searched every key word I could think of to find out HOW TO ADJUST THE GEAR SELECTOR CABLE ON A 95 S10 BLAZER. I keep getting the same feeds with could be's and might be's and NO HOW TO'S. I'm new to the forum, and I know what I'm looking for. I'm just trying to find what I feel should be a simple answer, but I'm not getting one.

When I reply to my own thread with a title or different wording . Does that qualify as the double posting or triple posting As you refrenced above. If so sorry didn't know.

Last edited by er.rigney; 06-03-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Must have missed the last post in that thread after you so quickly dismissed it as being worthless to your cause. Don't worry, I'll quote it for you:
Originally Posted by swartlkk
I detailed the adjustment of the park/reverse/neutral switch in my post above. This switch does not have anything to do with the actual movement of the shift lever in the transmission though. It only relays the position to the PCM. From the sounds of it, your shift cable is out of adjustment.

CLICK HERE for a little pictorial of how to adjust the shift cable. The F-body has practically the same adjustment method.
Click on the "CLICK HERE"... Give it a whirl. You might surprise yourself.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Beginning Member

I did see this link earlier today, but didn't know that it could be useful to me. I know things crossover as far as repairs go, but 95 Z28 & 4th Gen. don't really mean squat when I'm thinking 95 blazer. Thanks for the push in the right direction! I'll let you know how it goes after I get to it.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Beginning Member

Ok, so that didn't work. Everything already lines up when in neutral with nothing left to adjust (gear selector,trans shift lever, & cable). R N @ D 2 1 all good. Shifter moves to park in cab, but indicator light doesn't light. Cable will not advance past R at trans, but will advance if I climb under and push by hand (then indicator light works).

Old 06-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Well then I guess you are screwed...

So you popped up the adjustment lock and were able to move the cable forward and back, then reset it into position? Did you try moving it slightly forward to see if that would help?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Beginning Member

Adj. lock out, cable moved f/b, and reset f/b. Nothing in the area of the adj lock appeared to move f/b (pic 3 of link). Is it supposed to? Underneath where the spring is on the backside it looks like it has threads adjustable?

Quick Reply: Wont go into park! Everything else OK.