Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Wut?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Jimmy_Blazer is on a distinguished road
Default Wut?

Ok so heres a weird done. My engine (95 4.3 vortec) while I was accelerating I heard a boom and something started rattling and felt like the engine through a rod. Turned it off, tryed to start it and it would turn over then lock up. Well, I just now got a chance to look at it (had the new engine put in about a year ago) and I pulled the oil pan off to take a look, everything looks fine. I can turn the crankshaft and it all turns fine. Whats up? No thrown rod or anything broken but it locked up back then????

Old 08-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

could have been a stuck valve. was there any metal in the pan?

Old 08-16-2013, 05:43 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Take and remove the plugs and see if the engine will turn over.Also check for debris inside the cylinders.Seems to me theres a ring that broke on the piston.Not to give you bad news but you may end up needing major engine repair or replacement.I agree with twip a suspected dropped valve could be the problem also.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:44 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I think he replaced it already, so a R&R was already done.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:26 PM

No metal in the pan, everything's clean. (its on an engine stand) I had it replaced a year ago I'm just now starting to rebuild the old one. I'll take the heads off and see if a valve broke.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:54 PM

So I got the heads off today and nothing was in the cylinders and the heads were fine... What else could that have been?

Old 08-18-2013, 12:03 PM

Hemm very strange seems to me you have look in all the places where the noise could have came from.Did the engine lose oil pressure when this happened?The only thing I would now suspect is that the distributor shaft broke the connector that connects to the oil pump shaft.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 AM

Did not loose oil pressure and the distributor shaft did not break... baffles me too

Old 08-20-2013, 01:38 PM

This engine has a balance shaft my last and only suggestion would be to have a look at the bearings that hold in a place.
Also have you taken the timing chain cover off and had a look inside there?Maybe the chain has slipped or the gears have broken a tooth /teeth off.
Ohter than Im out of ideas except to replace the engine.Good luck let us know what you find.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 PM

Timing chain and gears are fine. Still don't know. Going to call my mechanic who swapped out motors and ask what he thinks.

Quick Reply: Wut?