Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Yeah im screwed

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:14 PM
jman_08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yeah im screwed

Well for the first time in an attempt to get rid of the annoying lifter tick i used seafoam in the throttle body poured it directly in. Must of been alot of carbon in the upper engine because it smoked like no other. Anyway it got the tick to quiet up a little during idle but now its much louder under load when reved up.

Also when going wide open throttle not only is the ticking loudest at about 1,500 RPM but at WOT there is a loud what seems to be like a snapping noise or clicking noise what accompanies the annoying tick so why could the lifters get louder after the seafoam treatment i really need to find the culprit.

And now after the seafoam treatment the engine idle cannot stay consistant It keeps going up and down if im stopped at a stop sign It seems to do it also if i let on and off the brake the idle goes up and down so what did i do lol???

Forgot to mention right after the seafoam treatment when i stepped on the gas well first i had to reset the SES light since i had the intake off But right after the treatment the engine had no power at all But a about a minute later it got all the power back????

Thanks again

Jared.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:17 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Yeah im screwed

Seafoam is only a cleaner. It will not fix a tick in one of your lifters. As to your RPM's going up and down sounds like you may have a vacuum leak going on. Sounds like you had enough carbon built up that it was hiding just how bad your lifter was. I would recommend pulling your heads and replacing all your lifters rather than just the one that is bad.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:33 PM

Interesting why would the vacuum like start right after the seafoam treatment?? It seems like the idle is ok now though i drove it a bit ago and it has no surging idle anymore thats weird???

God i do hope that seafoam didnt kill a gasket or something and it now has a vacuum leak it was one heck of a smokeshow but i guarantee i over did it i dumped 2 full bottles into the intake.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

It's also possible the seafoam-loosened carbon is sticking your EGR valve open. What year/engine?

Old 10-10-2008, 11:37 AM

Its a 2004 4.3L v6

Old 10-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck locating the EGR valve on a 2004!

How do the plugs look? Any one cylinder discolored more than the rest?

It is possible you have a collapsed lifter or a bad cam lobe. Crappy part is that you need to pull the intake to determine if it is a bad lobe. Lifters are a bit trickier to diagnose as they use oil to "pump up".

Does it definitely sound like it is coming from the top end of the motor? Can you narrow the noise down to one side of the motor? Front or back? A long screw driver can be used as a make shift stethoscope. Just do not stick it into the fan! LOL

Old 10-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Good luck locating the EGR valve on a 2004!
Hey, I suggested that before I knew what year!

Old 10-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I know!

Old 10-10-2008, 01:32 PM

Lol i figured 04 did away with the EGR valve i have isolated the noise to the right side of the engine probably about the middle of the engine last night was scary almost violent sounding at high RPMS it was making a clanking sound in there so something is going bad.

Another questions after that seafoam i didnt change my oil but i didnt run it through the crankcase am i ok?? I use 5w-30 Mobile 1 Oil. and Fram tough guard Oil filter another thing to ask would be when at oil the oil pressure sits up at about o 20 or so is that normal?

When the engine is cold its high of course but then slowly goes does but it doesnt matter if the engine is warm cold happy pissed it ticks lol.

O also i the idle drops when but into reverse and then again from reverse to drive so im guessing that just normal transmission load on the engine?? because the idle bounces back up right away.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Yeah, the idle speed change when going into gear is normal. The IAC opens to bring the speed back. It cannot work instantaneously.

Sounds like you have a valve train problem. Possibilities include (but not limited to) broken valve spring, pulled rocker arm stud, bad rocker arm, bent push rod, collapsed lifter, stuck lifter, and/or a bad cam lobe.

Sounds like it is time to at least pull the valve cover.

Quick Reply: Yeah im screwed