Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

1982 K5 new owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Bigsarge35 is on a distinguished road
Default 1982 K5 new owner

I am bringing it to the house this week ( it's actually next door ) but I know I will be needing to do some work with it right away. It more than likely won't be everyonnes cup of tea but I like it. It's done in orange ( more like the bronze orange than crayola orange ) paint with original white leather intierior ( I didn't know they even had the option of leather but hey...I'm new to this truck )350 with an automatic 2WD with 20's. It is not as "pimpin" as it's sounds I swear! First thing I know I need is some suspension work, was looking to replace the old springs and shocks and found a lowering kit from DJM suspension. I understand them to have a good product but I am not sure what to go with for shocks. I know whats good for a car because I have done plenty of those but I am not exactly sure about what works for trucks. Any suggestions? I also am having trouble locating an off the shelf dual exhaust system that will work with long tube headers. Are most of the exhausts out there custom jobs? And would I be better off with short of long tube headers? I understand the benifits of both but it will be a run around for me so gas mileage isn't really a consideration...much. Lots of questions I know but feel free to answer all or one or none. Just saying hello and putting myself out there. I will have pictures up in a day or two.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Beginning Member
greendouglash is on a distinguished road

"Lowering" a K5, that's blasphemy! Lol I can't help at all with that section of expertise. I have long tube headers on mine, with Vortec heads off a 96. I bought mine already custom modified though, so all the exhaust work was done prior to me buying it. Everything under mine though looks custom for the exhaust though. I know that going custom isn't really all that expensive either though, depending on what your definition of expensive is. Research a little bit as to what people are asking to do the work in your area.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Bigsarge35 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I know. But big giant tires, 4 wheel drive and 8" lifts with 4 mpg isn't my thing. Granted I will get not to great a mileage as is, but it's just more my lane. I don't go 4 wheeling nor do I live in a snow belt, all my driving is on paved roads back and forth to work and limited few other places. I don't knock anyone's choice of mods though, people like what they like and you have to appreciate the fact that they are at least working on thier vehicles in the first place. Not everyone can, nor are they willing, to customize thier vehicles so kudos to those that do. I will take a look see, my guess is that a lot of components that fit the C10 pick up will also cross over to the Blazer.