Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

1987 K-5 not running

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Starting Member
Ck1500 is on a distinguished road
Default 1987 K-5 not running

okay to make a long story short. i have a 1987 K-5 and its been sitting in my garage for a little while now. i drove it in and everything was fine. well i figured i should fire it up the other day. and it attempted to fire up and died off, i tried multiple times, and to no avail could i get it running again. heres a list of things i have done to it. and still the problem is no idle. and when i can get it to somewhat run.. it seems to die out as soon as i give it any throttle whats so ever. and there are no codes, and yes my ces light works this is a stock motor. with no Cat, and flowmaster exhaust.

Spark Plugs/Wires AcDelco
Cap and Rotor Duralast Autozone specials
Ignition Module Duralast
Fuel Filter AcDelco
Egr Valve Duralast
Rebuilt TBI Gp Sorenson
Oil Sending Unit Duralast "noticed it was leaking when i was under it"
Battery Duralast

i have even swapped these parts from a functional 1988 and yes i reset the ecm after each part was installed

ECM
Idle Air Control Valve
Map Sensor

i inspected the knock sensor, O2 sensor, i dont have a fuel pressure gauge but i had the wife hit the key for me when i was doing the fuel filter. to make sure there wasnt anything in the lines that shouldnt be. and it shot right out in a nice stream, "i know hillbilly pressure gauge"
i inspected all fuses also. and checked the fuel pump relay.

im running outta parts to change, and ideas... is it possible that it lost time? or timing chain went or something? im just trying to figure it out. i can get it to go into almost a limp mode, for about 1 minute with the map sensor vacuum line disconnected. but it wont give me more then half throttle at best. and then i i get a map sensor code.

please any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
i need to get this truck mobile again so i can get more work done on it.

thanks

Ck1500

Specs are 1987 Chevy K-5 Blazer 5.7 with 700 R-4 trans. 9" lift and 40" swampers

Old 08-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Starting Member
Default all better now :)

welp upon further investigation, i noticed a different sound in my fuel pump so i dreaded doing it, but i dropped my tank and removed the sending unit assembly. and noticed the rubber hose between the fuel pump and the sender has a hole in it, and one of the hose clamps was gone. so i found a piece of hose to fit it, and installed a new clamp. now i know this isnt the special fuel line that was in there, but im going to be changing the tank now anyways... i noticed some corrison on one of the corners.. so when i get new tank, im going to install a new sender/fuel pump and keep my old one for spare. i am also going to replace straps, they were looking as if a good pot hole would send the tank to the ground anyways lol.

right now i have the existing tank sitting on wood under the truck, and it runs like a champ again!

grrr more money to spend, and not enough hours in a day to make it

Ck1500

Old 08-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got it figured out! How deep is the rust on the tank? Can't you just clean it up and shoot some paint on it?

Old 08-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Starting Member

welp seeing its lived its entire life here in michigan, im only going to imagine, that what is see is not as bad as what is really under it. i was probing and proding around and low and behold my screwdriver went through the "lack of metal" oh well she has gave me a good run lol..

now next question is do i just buy the 80 dollar 31 gallon tank? or so i spend some more and get the nicer name brand one for 140. im still planning on undercoating the crude outta this thing. so im not planing on puting a non metallic tank in.

any thoughts?

Ck1500

Old 08-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The cheap ones will likely rust out on you again which can be held off for a bit using undercoating. Really comes down to what $$ you have available. I bought an aftermarket tank that came out of a TBI blazer for $30 off craigslist to use for my TBI motor swap.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 PM
blueblazer1982 is on a distinguished road

i got a 31 from oreilys for 100-120 , i brought a classic parts catalog in and chewed the crap out their price.
i had a 25 originally in mine. you probably should replace the straps too. and get an ant-squeak kit. get the straps and the kit from LMC. i also undercoated mine and it seems really durable.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Starting Member

yeah good looking out on the straps thanks!, i actually had 2 new straps, to go on it, seeing i have been re-doing the whole back floor. i knew i was going to have to drop the tank to get the the 2 rear most body mounts.

unless the straps are almost new, i wouldnt bother trying to re-use them old ones... bad things can happen don't ask

Oreilly's was a decent priced tank. i might be looking that way, as for now i put the tank back up into the truck. so its not sitting on floor jack/wood lol... and saving up some money to get a new tank..

thanks for the help guys!

Ck1500