Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

1990 Blazer Tailgate Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:10 PM
etvolare is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 1990 Blazer Tailgate Problem

My 1990 Blazer has been sitting since 2001. I put a new battery in it and tried to lower the rear window. I went down to about 1/4" of the glass showing in the middle and that was it. In the mean time I can't open the tailgate. Can I use my slim jim to depress the latch safety switch to open the tailgate. If I can, where it the safety switch located??? or is there another way to open the tailgate without the window being completely down? It is completely below the rear window side rails, so the window in not engaged. The window raises and lowers fine, just doesn't go low enuff to be completely inside the tailgate. Am I gonna need a crowbar?

Old 09-02-2011, 03:15 AM
ramapge is on a distinguished road

Is it really that hard to unscrew the dozen or so screws on the access panel to see where it's binding? While you have the panel off you can always unscrew the cable where it connects to the motor and attach it to a cordless drill to raise and lower it.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Angry 1990 Blazer Tailgate Problem

No Rampage, it is not too hard to unscrew the 12 or so screws.. I wouldn't have even bothered to post this question if all I wanted to know was how to take off the panel and lower the window with a drill. The problem is the back of the truck is filled with stuff all the way to the back of the front seats.. That's the reason I wanted to open the tailgate. To unload it. I would really appreciate it if someone who has read the post, could answer it.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by etvolare
My 1990 Blazer has been sitting since 2001. I put a new battery in it and tried to lower the rear window. I went down to about 1/4" of the glass showing in the middle and that was it. In the mean time I can't open the tailgate. Can I use my slim jim to depress the latch safety switch to open the tailgate. If I can, where it the safety switch located??? or is there another way to open the tailgate without the window being completely down? It is completely below the rear window side rails, so the window in not engaged. The window raises and lowers fine, just doesn't go low enuff to be completely inside the tailgate. Am I gonna need a crowbar?
Even though you didn't want me to re-read your post I did it any way. Then I read it again and again and again ... and no place in there did it say or infer that the back end of your blazer was packed and you couldn't access the panel. And I know you don't want my input but I feel rebellious.
Can you use a crowbar? Sure, if you don't mind breaking the glass.
Can you use a slim jim? Sure, good luck with that.
Are there other ways to open it from the outside? Yes, I can think of one that will work and one that might work depending on what is wrong on the inside. But I don't really feel in a helpful mood.

Do I really feel like telling a newbie with 2 posts how to open the tailgate from the outside using burglar tools? Not particularly, and anyone who knows how should be cautious too. But if you look at the diagrams that LMC has in their catalogs you might be able to figure it out.

Last edited by ramapge; 09-02-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:37 PM
tolbertsandy is on a distinguished road

We have a 1989 that had sit up for 5 years and the back glass did not go all way down just like you are talking about with yours..We discovered that ours will not go down any farther (we just bought it ) but it was not the window keeping it from opening..The side latches were frozen...we sprayed WD-40 with straw in between the body and tailgate and kept working the release handle till it finally opened. Ignore the un-nice people..Hope this helps with your problem.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Starting Member
Z71_Guy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ramapge

Do I really feel like telling a newbie with 2 posts
dude you have 4 posts, the guy wasn't looking for sarcasm just some advice

Old 09-02-2011, 09:07 PM

And I wasn't the guy needing help. Point being, when someone asks how to lower a window using a slim jim or crowbar and it's their first post ...

Old 09-02-2011, 11:38 PM

Gentlemen
Tolbertsandy - Thanks for the tip.. I'll try that tomorrow.
Z71_Guy - I appreciate your support.
Ramapge(sp?) - When you get old enough to have kids, you'll find a slim better than an extra door key when they lock them all in the car in the school parking lot. Oh, one more thing...I never did ask how to lower the window...duh!!!
BTW: thanks for the link to the LMC diagrams. Now I know what to look for and where to find it.