Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

78 k'5

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:39 PM
bigred78 is on a distinguished road
Default 78 k'5

Hey everyone im new to the site but Im starting up my 1978 K5 and the first question is has anyone removed and replaced the bed sides on a blazer around this year model....how difficult is this.....any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moved to Fullsize Tech*

Are you replacing the full bed side or doing a partial skin? If just a partial skin, then you really want to have the replacement panel on hand before making your final cuts, but you could open up the panel to have a look inside at what might require replacement.

If you are replacing the whole panel, then you need to go around the entire outer edge and grind the paint off to find the spot weld locations. A flapper wheel on a die grinder does this very well. Use a 1/2" drill (or a spot weld drill) to drill out each spot weld. I center punch each spot weld to keep the drill from walking around.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:12 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I have done this before on a fulltop 74 Blazer. Took me and a buddy about half a day. It's not rocket science, just be patient with all the little things. I am not sure about doing a half top, it cant be too much more difficult.