Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

78 k5 blazer help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Nuzman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 78 k5 blazer help

Ok, it's like this....

78 k5 blazer 350 4x4, fuel pump went out tonight. I have been told its not as easy as it looks to replace this inexpensive part.(locally here $20-$30). Something about when putting the new one back on it can be a pain in the you know what. Soooo anyone have any suggestions? I am about 99% positive its the pump and nothing else. It cant be a fuse due to it is a manual pump, and its not the filter( I have a glass tube fuel filter). I disconnected the hose from the steel line coming off the pump going to the carb and not a trickle of gas came out when pumping on the gas pedal. Any tech tricks would be appreciated!

Thank You!

Old 10-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 78 k5 blazer help

I do not believe there are any differences from my 74 and your 78 in this regard. Heck, really we have more room in the K5 than I do in my Chevelle. I was able to change the fuel pump in my Chevelle on the side of the road in under 15 minutes.

You will have the pump which mounts to the block with two bolts. Then there will be a small gasket, a larger mounting plate (with two bolts lower than those holding on the pump itself) and another gasket.

Where a lot of people have problems is with the fuel pump drive rod. My Chevelle had a bolt hole on the front of the block to install a 3/8 bolt (IIRC) to retain the rod in place which helped in the installation. I am not sure if that is something that is still there or not. You just have to make sure that the rod ends up on top of the pump drive lever. That can be the biggest hassle.

If you find that the rod slides down and will not stay up in the block, then you may need to get another plate gasket and remove the plate. With the plate out, remove the rod and coat it with a heavy grease. Reinstall it. The grease will hold the rod up in the block while you get everything in place.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Nuzman is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you,

I believe you explained it better then anyone else. I am heading out the door now to buy the pump and get started. Wish me luck!

And.....did I say..

Thank You!

Old 10-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No problem.

I just happened to be down at my dads shop today. The motor from my Chevelle is up on my engine stand so I was able to grab some pictures that should help out in what and where everything is. Take a look below.

In the first picture, I put in some text and arrows:

If you have the bolt in that location, when you remove it and install a longer one, do not use a wrench to tighten it. By hand is fine. You do not want to score the fuel pump drive rod.

Here are a few extras showing you where everything is:

Good luck!