Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

85 K5 auto hub click and clunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Beginning Member
tomwill454 is on a distinguished road
Default 85 K5 auto hub click and clunk

My k5 has begun to make a clicking sound, and severe clunk, at slow speeds, then goes away if I turn the wheel, let off the gas, or slow down. I have full time hubs. My front axle is turning all the time, as are the u joints at the wheels, but I'm not in 4wd. Is this right? And what might have worn out? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can install manual hubs in place of the very problematic auto-hubs (which are sure to fail on you when you need them most).

I am not sure that this is your problem, but it very well could be.

Where does it sound like the noise is coming from?

Old 04-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Beginning Member

Sounds like the driver side front. I just removed the front drive line, and it doesn't seem to do it now. Passenger side must be the drive wheel, as driver side us joint not turning and passenger side joint is, and noise seems to have gone away, but that was just driving up and down the street. I have a lot to learn...thanks for the reply

Old 04-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely sounds like you have a malfunctioning auto-hub. I have never seen one that actually worked like it was supposed to except when they were virtually new.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Beginning Member

ok, thanks. I think I'll pull the front diff. cover and see what I can see in there too. 4wd has been working great, until a week or so ago, heard that clunking going up a steep hill. If it's the hub, can I replace it with the manual by just removing the auto hub from the outside of the wheel, or do I need to pull anything else, like an axle?

Old 04-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Administrator

You can replace the auto-hub with the manual hub all from the outside. You don't even have to remove the wheel.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Beginning Member

Great, thanks so much for the advice!

Old 04-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Beginning Member
WalkingDown is on a distinguished road

I had a noise going on there one time. Most notible when I was turning at lower speeds. Turned out to be my spindal bearings on the axle shaft.
You can reach in behind the wheel and grab hold of the u joint on the axle shaft where it goes into the wheel hub. Give it a shake. It should be solid. If you can move it, you probably need new spindal bearings.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Beginning Member

Hey thanks for the tip. Both sides have slight movement in and out and around. They are not solid, but both sides seem to be about the same. Where are those bearings, in the differential housing or end of the shaft? How extensive is the tear down to repair them? Do I have to remove the differential, axles, the whole nine yards? Thanks much for the info, much appreciated.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Administrator

There is a hollow spindle that the hub rides on. There are two opposing tapered roller bearings on the spindle with the races in the hubs. There is a nut which you will have to get the proper 4 pronged socket to remove them.

You basically remove the auto lockers (and toss them in the trash) and you will see the nut I am talking about on the outside of the spindle. Remove your brake caliper and then remove the nut and the hub will come off.

Quick Reply: 85 K5 auto hub click and clunk