Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

89 K5 gas flooded motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Starting Member
chiefum is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear you got it home.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Starting Member
Ck1500 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Thid92
Ok UPDATE:

drove an hour once again to try to bring the truck to life, brought one of the guys from my job that has some mechanical knowledge and brought a 5 gallon bucket of wrenches and sockets.

The truck has 2 coolant sensors, the one I hooked up goes to the gauge inside the cab and I completely over looked the one right in the front that sends the data to the computer. changed out the coolant sensor first then attacked the TPS and finally tried the O2 sensor. finally got the o2 sensor after heating it up good enough and using a socket wrench along with fixed wrench to pry the socket wrench and it popped loose.

I looked over the sensors making sure they where all hooked up and connected the battery, I was still unsure the TPS was on correctly but fired up the truck. Still the truck wouldnt respond correct to the throttle and the check engine light came back on within seconds. Turned the truck off pulled the code and got 22 (TPS) pulled the battery cable off and inspected the TPS, my friend hooked it up just like the old one was on there but whoever tried to fix this truck had it on wrong because it would not move with the throttle so we reinstalled it and truck responded great and no codes.

Let the truck warm up a bit and kept checking the throttle response after she got warmed up and it was perfect, until it bogged down just like previous. I pulled the intake off to check the injectors even thought there still was no code, injectors seemed to be dribbling fuel instead of shooting a nice cone shaped mist. Now I was getting pissed but I also knew that the truck was somewhat low on gas and had bought a 5 gallon jug of gas that I brought up last night.

We topped off the 5 gallon jug and she fired right back up and throttle response was still great, dove her to the nearest gas station topped her off for $75.00 and had my friend drive her home to his house an hour away with out a problem.

Thank you everyone for your help as I am new to the Chevy coming from a Toyota Tacoma, this is my first V8. So far so good, I enjoyed getting the truck fixed even though I had my moments getting pissed but wasnt going to give up. Figuring the truck was listed for $2500. I got it for $1500 I am still up a few bucks right.

my fault for not pointing out the coolant sensor for the gauge!!!! i was only thinking about the sensor for the ECM.. and i am sorry for not pointing that out!!!

im very happy you got it home also!!! it sounds like you got a sweet deal on it, seeing it doesnt have the rust issues... like my 1987 and a new crate motor in it is a plus also!!!

but next the most important thing to do, is get us some pics, so we can drool over your awesome K5... well atleast i might be drooling over it hehe

if ya run into any other snags let us know...

Ck1500

Old 05-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Beginning Member
Thid92 is on a distinguished road

I only have one picture from last night right now and I am up at Ft Drum but give me a sec and ill see if I can upload it

Old 05-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Beginning Member

this picture was taken last night after we got her running and after we filled up the monster of a gas tank, the guy in the picture is the guy that helped me out and he is filling up the tire. I am sure I will have lots of questions on here as there are a lot of little things i want to do.

Attached Thumbnails 89 K5 gas flooded motor-img00158-20100512-2224.jpg  

Last edited by Thid92; 05-13-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Starting Member

hey if you ever get tired of it, i might take a road trip from michigan to come take it off your hands

looks like its in pretty good shape there!!!!

gosh that makes me so jealous lol....

Ck1500

Old 05-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Beginning Member

Yeah she's definitely in some good shape. As soon as I get home I am ripping of the rust collectors then replacing the exhaust, the cat is restricted so I am going to eliminate it and put in a flowmaste 50 maybe a dual and route the pipes infront of the rear tires. I wasn't to get an HID kit but I don't know how I could do it as the head lights are a one piece.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Starting Member

Yeah she's definitely in some good shape. As soon as I get home I am ripping of the rust collectors then replacing the exhaust, the cat is restricted so I am going to eliminate it and put in a flowmaste 50 maybe a dual and route the pipes infront of the rear tires. I wasn't to get an HID kit but I don't know how I could do it as the head lights are a one piece.

i removed my Cat on mine, and yes it was restricted also... and i love the sound of the flowmaster on mine 40 series.. but be warned right after i did mine, i kept throwing a code. 02 sensor, so i changed the 02.. code went away and 1 day later it came back, same code, so i changed 02 again.. code went away for a couple days and came back again. so i decide remove my SES light bulb for now. and the truck runs great. the only issue is, if you have any problems with your truck you have to tear the dash apart to re-install the bulb. so you can check codes.

removing the running boards is a good idea.. they tend to really hold the road grime against the body of the truck and rockers as prone to rotting out on these trucks. also back by the tailgate. the floor are there. just a FYI!! seeing yours is in good shape, it wouldnt be a bad idea to maybe clean under there and undercoat it or something to help keep the bad out!! just my opinion...

as for exhaust routing, the only thing i would not do on a K5 is route it under body dumps over the axles.. its a known fact that leaving the exhaust under the truck like that and with the windows open your prone to bring the exhaust fumes into the cab portion.. Carbon Monoxide is kinda scary to because you cant smell it. but you would notice scratchy throat syndrome, and headaches, possibly become light headed.. and the last resort is death not trying to scare ya. but just giving ya some insight on these trucks.. i also heard.."not confirmed" that the routing straight out the back could be bad with the rear window open.. but i havent tested this yet. mine is 3" at stock location. as for the HID kits, i havent found a decent one for the sealed beam yet... but check out LMCTRUCK.com i think that have some upgraded lights, and you can sign up and get a free catalog from them, or view it online... i have used it a ton for references and parts even.

hope some of this helps.. and by no means does it mean you HAVE to do it this way.. just trying to get ya in the right direction...

Ck1500

Old 06-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Beginning Member

So I finally drove my truck yesterday. Well seems like the cat was plugged as it seemed to have no power when I had to drive up hill and also an exhaust leak since it felt like I had been maced and my lip was tingling. Dropped the truck off at the muffler shop, I had a flowmaster 40 already and asked them to put it on with new piping. They told me it would cost $230.00, once it was on the lift they spotted a gas leak from my tank and a slight leak on the rear brake line. Now the price would be $600 because they couldnt weld on the truck. I pulled the plug and told them to replace the tank sending unit and fix the brake line as I will be driving my new born daughter in it. I am excited to pick the truck back up tomorrow.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Starting Member

So I finally drove my truck yesterday. Well seems like the cat was plugged as it seemed to have no power when I had to drive up hill and also an exhaust leak since it felt like I had been maced and my lip was tingling. Dropped the truck off at the muffler shop, I had a flowmaster 40 already and asked them to put it on with new piping. They told me it would cost $230.00, once it was on the lift they spotted a gas leak from my tank and a slight leak on the rear brake line. Now the price would be $600 because they couldnt weld on the truck. I pulled the plug and told them to replace the tank sending unit and fix the brake line as I will be driving my new born daughter in it. I am excited to pick the truck back up tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about the extra expenses... but with having a new born on board with you... you can NEVER be to Cautious!!!
and with those things being fixed... it should bring peace of mind, when your driving it. this is up to you but if i had a newborn child with me, in a K5 with a 40 series muffler it might now be a bad idea to protect the hearing on the little one.. seeing i have that setup already in my rig.. and its pretty loud..

but then again thats just me... glad your getting it fixed man!!!! and congrats on the newborn!! .. and post some more pics of your K5... so i can drool more!!

Ck1500

Old 06-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Beginning Member

yes def a piece of mind when driving my daughter in the truck. I got the 40 series with the dual exhaust was hoping it wouldnt be to loud for my daughter. will post up some more pictures, the body has some dents but is in very good shape with minimal rust for being so old.

Quick Reply: 89 K5 gas flooded motor