Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

89 tbi starting problem

Old 05-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Starting Member
C10Fly is on a distinguished road
Default 89 tbi starting problem

I have recently changed out the engine in my 89 k5 with a reman. I have got everything hooked up and went to start it and it will turn over but i get no fuel. the fuel pump is working and i replaced the fuel filter. when i take the lines off at the trottle body i get fuel pooring out. the truck hasnt ran in over 2 years. and yes its new fuel in the tank. it just wont spray out of the injectors. starting to get really frustrated with it. let me know if you have a cure to my illness.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:53 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

The TBI has a fuel pressure regulator the feeds the injectors. There is a spring and a diagphram that regulates the fuel pressure to the injectors. I would either take the top part of the tbi apart and make sure all is clean or purchase a TBI rebuild kit and put a new spring and diaphram in. (You could also pour a small amount of gas directly into the TBI and try to start) If it starts and runs for a little bit then you know it is fuel related.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Starting Member
C10Fly is on a distinguished road

i have tried to run fuel down the throttle body and i am getting spark but today i changed out the TPS and i am now getting the injectors to drip but they will not spray. the truck still wont start. i did some research today to find out what throttle body came stock and realized that a holly throttle body is not stock!! so now im even more stumped. to give some background i am not a motor guy. i do body work i have very little knowledge when it comes to stuff like this. if there is any thing else you can give me or you need more info from me let me know please. thanks.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:58 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I know LMC Truck Sells the Holley Throttle body as a direct replacement. If it was me I would would get a factory TBI from the junkyard and a rebuild kit. They are very easy to rebuild. You might be able to get a manual on line from Holley or from LMC. I purchased the rebuild kit from NAPA and also purchased a can of Carb Cleaner, the Carb Cleaner was in a can (Not Spray) the has a parts tray so you can soak parts in the cleaner. Or even a rebuild kit for the Holley. You need to have around 11 PSI fuel pressure for the TBI engine. I added an injector spacer, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure gage adapter and gage. I purchased mine from CFM Technology. Below is their link. I have an 89 S15 Jimmy 4.3 TBI and with 415,000 miles on it with one rebuild and installed on a (rebuilt) engine runs perfect. The only problem I had was before I rebuilt the TBI the PVC port was plugged and causing high oil pressure due to know crankcase ventilation. CFM has a lot of good information on their website as well regarding TBI performance. Do not waste money on a Throttle Body Spacer.

http://marine-performance-parts.com/...rformance.aspx

Old 05-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Starting Member
Ck1500 is on a distinguished road

maybe a silly question, but does it have enough oil??? the computer will shut the signal down to the injectors if not.. just some things i have ran into myself! kinda sounds like a computer problem to me... seeing you have a functional pump and all..

hope this helps

Ck1500

Old 11-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Starting Member
Red1993GMCSierra is on a distinguished road

There is one thing that you could try. Underneath the distributor cap is some kind of sensor that tells the truck when to spark and when to shoot fuel out of the injectors. I would take the cap off and see if the bottom of it is getting grounded good, because sometimes they like to rust to where they can't ground themselves. Just take a wire brush to it if it is. If that doesn't work try a new one.