Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

91' 5.7L Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Beginning Member
Chopsaw is on a distinguished road
Default 91' 5.7L Blazer

Hello everyone, I'm new to all this .
I have a 91' Blazer and it's been drinking coolant for awhile now, about a gallon in the last 3 1/2 months..
There is no oil in the radiator and no water in the oil and no coolant hits the ground.
And at cold idle runs perfect, warm idle runs a little rough and doesn't seem to be firing on #1 cyl, which makes me fail the emissions test.
warm running down the road runs great and also passes emissions with flying colors.
TBI Injection is producing excellent fan patterns no drips.
Egr holds a vacuum and engine idle go's goofy when i depress the diaphram.

So my question is this could the crossover on the water jacket going from 1 bank to the other be leaking into #1 cyl some how through the intake manifold?

Looking forward to your input

Old 03-07-2012, 03:23 PM
K1500brute is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Chopsaw
Hello everyone, I'm new to all this .
I have a 91' Blazer and it's been drinking coolant for awhile now, about a gallon in the last 3 1/2 months..
There is no oil in the radiator and no water in the oil and no coolant hits the ground.
And at cold idle runs perfect, warm idle runs a little rough and doesn't seem to be firing on #1 cyl, which makes me fail the emissions test.
warm running down the road runs great and also passes emissions with flying colors.
TBI Injection is producing excellent fan patterns no drips.
Egr holds a vacuum and engine idle go's goofy when i depress the diaphram.

So my question is this could the crossover on the water jacket going from 1 bank to the other be leaking into #1 cyl some how through the intake manifold?

Looking forward to your input
Is this a K5 Blazer?? or a 5.7L swap??

If you are not noticing coolant on the ground and you cant trace it any where i bet its time to replace intake gaskets. I know that the engines aren't the same but my 3.8 was leaking coolant but couldnt see any leaks. And had rough idle at low temps but once headed up it went away. The 3800 series had big problems with this but this can happen to any engine. [Normally it will have rust like stuff in the radiator] NVM this but i did not have any oil loss or water in it.

It also could be head gaskets but most of the time you can see them leak.

Have you been replacing it with Dex-Cool coolant?? I hope you havent... This is what happens if you do and that was the good one. It is due to the Dexcool becoming acidic and eating the gasket. i know it didnt come standard until 96 but still could have had the coolant replaced and they put it in.

Last edited by K1500brute; 03-07-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: forgot what you said
Old 03-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Beginning Member

It looks exactly like my old 79' K5. the 5.7 L is a 350 cid. no Dex coolant i know of. i have used prestone and good old distilled water..
I think what i'm going to do is tear off the carb , kit it ,, take off the intake and see if i can see any place water may be getting through.
I hear permatex Gray is the best sealant, what do you guys think ?
I'm also going to try and get the valve covers to stop leaking, driving me nuts, passenger side bank always leaks even with rubber gaskets, so this time i'm gluing them on.

Thanks for the post Brute

Last edited by Chopsaw; 03-07-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 AM
K1500brute is on a distinguished road

It looks exactly like my old 79' K5. the 5.7 L is a 350 cid. no Dex coolant i know of. i have used prestone and good old distilled water..
I think what i'm going to do is tear off the carb , kit it ,, take off the intake and see if i can see any place water may be getting through.
I hear permatex Gray is the best sealant, what do you guys think ?
I'm also going to try and get the valve covers to stop leaking, driving me nuts, passenger side bank always leaks even with rubber gaskets, so this time i'm gluing them on.

Thanks for the post Brute
Np and they moved it to the K5 section, it was in the 1st gen S10 Blazer section and thats why i was confused. and ether red or gray as long as its permatex. Red is more for coolant and gray is more versatile but it should not be that big of an issue

Old 03-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Beginning Member

Grey it is , Thank You

Old 03-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Beginning Member

she's all better now

Old 03-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Starting Member
THePaRaSiTE5771 is on a distinguished road

she's all better now
What fixed the problem?

Old 04-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Bigmoose153 is on a distinguished road

I'd like like to know this as well, as I seem to be having the same problem with 90' K5 Blazer.

Last edited by Bigmoose153; 04-02-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-05-2012, 06:41 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

a gallon of water in 3-4 months isnt really alot depending on how much you drive. alot is usually when you see puddles. my 90 fullsize was kinda doing the same thing. kept slowly getting low with no leaks. ended up being the water pump. it just leaked when the truck was running and with the fan going it would just splatter it around so i never seen any spots

Old 04-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Beginning Member
duallylaid is on a distinguished road

Always be mindful of the ole heat core also. Check for dampness on the carpet right under the dash on passenger side.