Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

93 K5 not locking in

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 04:07 PM
5lumsdens is on a distinguished road

Newbie here. I can feel the front grab when I put it in 4L or 4H. When I tested it in 4L on the street in front of my house it runs through the gears quickly and tops out. When I get off in the sand (to test it out) the fron is not pulling. I hear no grinding at all. Any ideas?

Update. Check the gear oil and it is fine. Found that the actuator was bad so replaced it. Still not locking in. The light on the floorboard is still not coming on either. Any suggestions?

Last edited by rriddle3; 12-29-2012 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Combining consecutive posts
Old 12-28-2012, 07:06 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I know nothing about these things, is the 4wd vac assist? if so, Check for a vac leak somewhere.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

No richie HE either has manual locking hubs OR automatic locking hubs. And a floor shift 4x4 system.

Put either 4 lo or hi IN and try to turn the driveshaft. If she spins the transfer case is not locked into range. IF it does lock Id check the hubs.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:46 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
No richie HE either has manual locking hubs OR automatic locking hubs. And a floor shift 4x4 system.

Put either 4 lo or hi IN and try to turn the driveshaft. If she spins the transfer case is not locked into range. IF it does lock Id check the hubs.
Thank you sir. I was not sure at all on this situation if they were vac assisted, I guess only s10 blazers only have this terrible setup.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The 92+ full size IFS Blazer (note the lack of K5 in that description) has a passenger side axle disconnect similar to the s-series,with the exception of how it is actuated; the full size IFS trucks were electronically actuated at the front axle.

The original setup was an electro-magnet or thermal unit that had a failure rate that rivaled the vacuum setup in the s-series. GM later revised the setup to a stepper motor drive that was much more reliable. I have posted the conversion information in past threads as a search for "magnetic+stepper+actuator" with an author of "swartlkk" should turn up. Use the Advanced Search tool and enter those terms in with the plus sign, and but without the quotes.

Is the actuator getting power? When in 4HI, with the passenger front off the ground, can you spin the wheel? If so and nothing else is spinning, then the front axle is not locking. If it spins & the front drive shaft does as well, then the front axle is locked, but the transfer case is not.

Let us know the outcome of those tests and we will go from there.

*EDIT* - CLICK HERE for the post/thread I was talking about.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:19 PM
5lumsdens is on a distinguished road

Ok, The actuator had a crack in the case and the circuit board was fried. Replaced the actuator and still no 4x4. Racking my brain to figure this out. Anyways we were heading to a buddy's camp to do a little mudding and while at Walmart getting beer (I mean groceries) I checked the 4x4 fuse and BAM, It was blown. fixed and 4 wheel is working again.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The board being fried likely was the cause of the blown fuse. Glad you got it fixed up!