Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Actin weird?

Old 03-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Chevyguy032 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Actin weird?

well i got my new distributor cap and rotor the other day (accel) and today when i went to change them everything went on well...except the rotor was real hard to get on all the way(dont know if that is normal or not) well after that i went to fire it up and it ran real ****ty like it was starving for fuel for about 5 seconds than it ran nice, but the service engine light was one..so i decided to swap back to the stock cap and rotor and its doing the same thing...it dosent really backfire..so i am confused on what could of caused this?

Old 03-14-2007, 01:40 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Actin weird?

Spark plugs out of order.
Get them back in the correct firing order.
1-6-5-4-3-2 around the cap. #1 is the closest to the #1 piston typically.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:59 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

Spark plugs out of order.
Get them back in the correct firing order.
1-6-5-4-3-2 around the cap. #1 is the closest to the #1 piston typically.
Its an 87 with a 350 TBI, at least that is what the signature says...you will have to find the firing order, it might be on the intake near the distributor, if the intake is aftermarket then you can look it up in a Haynes/Chilton's manual. Then use the 0* timing mark on the crank to find the number 1 cyl then mark the cap and place the wires back on the cap as needed in rotational order...

Old 03-14-2007, 02:08 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I should read the signature huh?
Doh!!!!

Old 03-14-2007, 03:46 PM

yea i did that a good 5 times..lol but i also notcied some blue smokes puffs out when it first starts up....and as it warms it if you get hard in it, it misses I am hopefuly scanning it tomorrow hopefuly in my shop class..ill let you know what the code is..thankz

Old 03-14-2007, 04:30 PM
fnirish is an unknown quantity at this point

If I'm not mistaken, the rotor is keyed, so it only goes on one way. I don't remember having any trouble putting the one on my 89.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Chevyguy032

yea i did that a good 5 times..lol but i also notcied some blue smokes puffs out when it first starts up....and as it warms it if you get hard in it, it misses I am hopefuly scanning it tomorrow hopefuly in my shop class..ill let you know what the code is..thankz
Those puffs in the morning maybe caused by worn valve guides and seals.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: fnirish

If I'm not mistaken, the rotor is keyed, so it only goes on one way. I don't remember having any trouble putting the one on my 89.
Most of the older design caps don't have numbers on the top telling you what wire goes to what cylinder and it is common when replacing wires that if you removed all the wires at once to get them misplaced on the top of the cap when re-installing the new wires...luckily GM cast the firing order into the body of the manifold near the rear so that you could see it and make it easier to replace wires, only problem aftermarket caps don't come with the same information embeded into them...

Old 03-15-2007, 12:34 AM

yea but i put the stock rotor and cap on and it still does it and the ouff just started happening when the motor started acting funny..i also smell fuel while driving when i have the windows down

Old 03-20-2007, 12:58 AM

well i got it scanned today and 2 codes came up one about the MAP sensor..and the other one sayin my exhaust is rich..now would the MAP sensor cause my exhaust to become rich?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Actin weird?