Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

air intake can.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:36 PM
thevair65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default air intake can.

As of now my truck has the OEM air intake system. id like to replace the stock air can with an open can. only one problem, there is a hase (reminds me of dryer vent pipe) that runs into the nozzle on the can that opens a door in the intake. the door is always open and has never worked like its suposed to. is there any way to pull my stock can and cap the hole the hose came from? how important is that assembaly? i hope this is descriptive enough if not let me know and ill see about getting a pic or more imformation.

thanks

Old 03-15-2007, 11:59 PM
speeddemon560 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: air intake can.

What are you talking about? Are you referring to the throttle body possibly when you were talking about the door always being open?

Old 03-16-2007, 01:40 AM

naw the air filter can. ill take a pic and see if that helps.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Please specify the year, model, engine of the vehicle we are discussing. From the looks of your avatar, you have an 80's K5. So you have a round element air cleaner. The door you speak of is supposed to close to pull air from around the exhaust manifolds to decrease warm up and cold starting problems. If the vacuum lines are not attached any longer, then it won't work.

You can go to an open element air cleaner, but cold, outside air is better than the hot air under the hood as far as power & efficiency go. To do it right, you'd need to ditch the factory air cleaner housing in favor of one that has a larger inlet hose to the air element, but still keep the hose routed either into the fender where yours draws its air (IIRC).

Old 03-16-2007, 03:29 PM
fnirish is an unknown quantity at this point

That door is controlled by the IAC solenoid, which opens and closes based on how warm the engine is. If it's not working correctly, the idle will be wrong. More than likely it will be quite high. Doesn't hurt anything until you start slamming it into gear at high idle. Then it's bad for the whole driveline.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:46 PM

oh sorry i thought i added my vehicle info to my signiture.
89 K-5 350 TBI
i think a new intake is a better option indeed. the old intake hose isnt even there anymore the old owner must not have liked it. as far as that stupid litle door goes. the only line that attaches to it is a thin metalic hose that runs from the passanger side header. it doesnt look like a vaccuum line. its too soft and doesnt fit tight. havent seen one that does fit well on any chevy.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that is the heat riser pipe. And there is supposed to be a vacuum line to a fitting on the underside of the lower air cleaner shell. That is what controls the valve that is in there.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:42 PM

hmm i wonder if this could be the reason for my terrable slow starts.....