Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Anyone know what could cause this? 79 k5 DEAD

Old 08-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Beginning Member
dave's_k5 is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone know what could cause this? 79 k5 DEAD

If any of you read my new member post, you'll know that I had to leave my 79 K5 in MS. I had a problem that I just couldn't figure out.

I'd turn the key, and nothing would happen. In fact the only thing that would work in the truck was the head lights. Thats it. Earlier that morning, I drove it to the store, picked up a few things and then parked it at the house for a few hours. Then when it was time to go, it won't do anything. I was leaving that day because I was transfering for work and had to leave my truck behind at a friends house.

Its been a year since then, and I really want to take some leave and fly back down there to get my truck. But I'm not sure where I should start with the trouble shooting. I just want to have my ducks in a row so I don't waste anytime.

Any ideas would be great, thanks!

Oh, and its a 79 k5, 350/350 with about 4 inches of lift and sitting on 33's.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like the ignition switch isn't being properly actuated. You could try adjusting it. It is mounted to the top of the steering column above the pedals. Loosen the fasteners and adjust it up towards the steering wheel a bit.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:01 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Would it be possible to just use a remote starter switch? They're cheap and simple. Maybe the buddy would try it out for you before you travel down.

Another option. Car haulers. Had my K5 shipped from Washington DC to Austin, Texas pretty cheap. 1600 miles or so.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Beginning Member
summit high is on a distinguished road

i would head straight for the starter wires , first of all ! i have seen them get corroided and not make contact, then off to the ignition switch , check fuses , and battery as well. PUT THE T CASE IN NEUTRAL for this next one !!!!!!!! , jump the starter with a screwdriver or something similar to test the solenoid ?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks everyone, I'll give those ideas a try. I wish that my friends husband was mechanically inclined, lol.

And just curious oisinirish, how much did it cost you to have your truck shipped. So far I haven't found a place that will ship it for less than a grand. It's right around 1000 miles from gulfport, ms to kenosha.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:10 AM
ramapge is on a distinguished road

Check the fusible link. I don't know exactly where it is on a 79 but it should be somewhere on the positive wire between the starter and fuse box. Look for a place where the wire has a bulge in it and check to make sure the fusible link measures 0 ohms across it or you could use a continuity tester.

Just checked my 78 truck and the fusible link is off the starter just inside the wire harness that goes to the fuse box. But that doesn't mean that's where yours is given that previous owners of my truck have messed with the wiring and the same may be true of yours. Just something else to check.

Last edited by ramapge; 09-02-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by ramapge
Check the fusible link. I don't know exactly where it is on a 79 but it should be somewhere on the positive wire between the starter and fuse box. Look for a place where the wire has a bulge in it and check to make sure the fusible link measures 0 ohms across it or you could use a continuity tester.

Just checked my 78 truck and the fusible link is off the starter just inside the wire harness that goes to the fuse box. But that doesn't mean that's where yours is given that previous owners of my truck have messed with the wiring and the same may be true of yours. Just something else to check.

I'll have someone take a look. My trucks wiring is a hack job too. The plan was to strip all the old wiring out and put in a new wiring harness when I get it up here.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Tobashadow is on a distinguished road

No radio or gauges screams you are not getting power either to the ignition switch or from it.

Here's the wiring diagram for it, what you are wanting to look at it is the upper left of the diagram.

Let me know if you don't know how to use a meter/trouble light.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tccs6w01.pdf (999.5 KB, 151 views)
Old 09-03-2011, 04:15 PM
ramapge is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dave's_k5
The plan was to strip all the old wiring out and put in a new wiring harness when I get it up here.
Good fire prevention idea too.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I've been away for a while and looking forward to getting my truck running so I can get it home. I'll let everyone know how it goes...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone know what could cause this? 79 k5 DEAD