Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: ball joints

Wow Tom, I am sorry. All references that I had read through searching for solutions to your problem pointed me towards your Blazer having the IFS setup.

With that being the case, then to aid in removal of the steering knuckle, you really need to pull the axles out of the axle housing to get the room you require. I believe that this is done by pulling off the differential cover and removing the c-clips to then removing the axle from the housing. Looks like you got it off though.

Sorry for the mis-information...

The pictures you emailed me are attached below for the viewing pleasure of the public!
[IMG]local://upfiles/667/5A3F3F1F220447DC9DB402BBE47AF07D.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]local://upfiles/667/7E8404C8F31D4BC496E015012AF14F6D.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]local://upfiles/667/269412A3FD404A80A47FEE232BEFAA31.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]local://upfiles/667/3799088A703D4ECEAFEF6B1D36DA8EED.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]local://upfiles/667/8BD1CB4BE38542259D3C12B5AEAFFD3F.jpg[/IMG]

*EDIT* - while you are at this stage, it may not be a bad idea to replace the u-joints in the front drive shafts. From here, it is a fairly simple task to complete.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:08 AM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info Kyle. No harm done with the IFS some how I always manage to get the last year or special equip. problems, just to keep me on my toes and my hair falling out LOL. The axles are actually full floaters (I discovered) so I actually don't have to go into the pumpkin to remove the C clips (some one likes me LOL).

I agree with the replacing the U joints on the axles however, tell me ifyou have ever heard of this, the U joints are welded to the axles. I know that there are other parts from the factory that are made unserviceable making you buy the whole thing after a few thousand miles ie. rotors, but I have never seen a major part like the shafts, that way. Interested in what you think.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I actually think that you may have yourself a heavier duty Blazer than originally thought. If it's based off the 2500 series truck, then that would explain why you have the solid front axle.

Hmm. Are you sure that they are welded. I know that it looked that way on my old '97 Ram when I replaced them, but they were retained with snap rings that were rusted up VERY badly and made it look like they were all one piece. I just chipped away at things with a small cold chisel with the axle in the vise. The u-joints are available as far as I can tell by looking at the major online autoparts stores. From the looks of the pictures they have online, they are the snap-ring retained type just like my old Ram.

So long as you stay away from the rubber seal when chipping away at them, you shouldn't hurt anything to the point of not being able to put it back together and have it work like it did before. Unless someone welded the cups in, they shouldn't be welded from the factory. That front axle design hasn't really changed much since the early '70s and I know for a fact that both of my dad's old farm trucks had replaceable u-joints in the front axle.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:56 AM

I have a feeling your right, every thing on the Blazer looks like it is heavy duty, when I compare it to my old 1/2 ton they are very similar.

I am going to spend the day in the garage and clean up the U joints to see if they have the snap ring, I touught it wasstrange to be welded in. I'll let you know what I find.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:35 PM

Well good news the other axle came right out, the knuckle fell off, and the ball joints came out. Not the easiest thing to do but definately better.

Your advice to check the U joints was pretty much right on. They have C clips on the back side (bummer), and they were REALLY rusted, when I started to chip away the rust I discovered that I really did not have any U joints LOL. Great catch, thanks for mentioning it.

Hope fully I'll have it back on the road next .

I'll keep you upto date on the great adventure LOL.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Again, glad I could help!

Good catch indeed!

Sounds like you would have been pulling things back apart again sometime soon if not attended to now.

Old 03-12-2006, 10:30 PM

New news from the front lines.

Went to a shop and had the ball joints and U joints pressed in, then went and installed them, almost no problems LOL. Now I have to replace the tie rods, they too were not in the best of shape. An interesting note from an earlier post, that I may have a heavy duty version of the blazer, turns out that the tie rods on the blazer as listed in the shop manual are from a V30. hmmmm

When I went to re-install the auto hubs, I began a really big nightmare, no matter what I did I could not get the little buggers back together[:@]. Finally my 14yr old daughter figured it out[]. LOL Turns out that they were never put together right in the first place.

I decided to look at all the receipts that the previous owner had. Turns out that "everything" in the front end had supposedly been replaced about 40,000 mi. ago. It was very obvious that there had never been any "real" work done on it but they did manage to charge alot to put it back together wrong[:@].

Meanwhile my wife has attacked the poor body work or lack there of. So far two days in and still sane "kind of" LOL.

Anyway back to the front, another battle won, hopefully the war is almost over. LOL

Old 03-12-2006, 10:44 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road