Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

blinker issue

Old 10-30-2005, 11:10 AM
eightyninegt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default blinker issue

my blinker tick stays on even when blinker is off...I have replaced the flasher with no luck, is there another switch or something that can be replaced? any help appreciated!

Old 10-30-2005, 11:56 AM
Talusgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: blinker issue

I just had mine redone (none of them worked). Is it the switch in the steering column you're talking about? The relay needed to be replaced and then another switch (module). I know the one is located in the steering column. After being replaced mine makes a different sound than it used to...And the side markers STILL don't work.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:08 PM

the part i replaced (flasher) is behind a panel under the glove box, this is the part that actually "ticks"...i replaced it and not it is just a different noise, tick still out of control...blinkers and emergency flashers work fine, just the noise wont stop...making me crazy...

Old 10-30-2005, 12:20 PM

THAT would make me NUTS. Feel like you're in the Twilight Zone do you? Could the part be faulty? Someone here will know-they'll respond...

Old 10-30-2005, 12:30 PM

i dont think the new part is faulty, it is acting exactly like my old part, so i think i just wasted $13. oh well. yes it is making me nuts, the only time it stops is when i use the brakes (weird huh?)...

Old 10-30-2005, 07:25 PM

So what is the part that's in the steering column? I got charged $85 for it...

Old 10-30-2005, 08:46 PM
drkmelvin is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds like you got a short in the wiring for your 4-way flashers. The giveaway is when you said it stops when you press the brakes. Typical GM. If your car does not have orange turn signals in the rear, than this may be your problem. For safty reasons, when you put on your flashers, and step on your brakes, the brake light switch cancels out the flashers to alert people behind you that you are stopping(puts on your brake lights) I would say it is in the steering column that you have your short, but it could be anywhere from the bulbs to the fusebox to the column, to any of the wires in between

Old 10-31-2005, 09:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would have to agree with drkmelvin on the short in the turn/4-way wiring/sockets. I would pull off the tail lights and see if there is any moisture in there. I had a backup light blow out on me and came to find out that I had 1" of water in both taillight assemblies. I drilled a 1/16" hole in the lowest point on each housing and haven't had another problem. The connector (atleast on my '00) is easy to disassemble and clean. My problem was only with the backup lights, so I'm leaning more towards a wiring fault.

Good luck.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:06 PM

good call...makes sense to me, i will definitely check that out asap! thanks for your help...

Old 10-31-2005, 07:19 PM
drkmelvin is an unknown quantity at this point

You're welcome

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: blinker issue