Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Blower Motor Issues....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:21 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default Blower Motor Issues....

Okay, so it's not a blazer, but it is fullsize. I have a 1998 Chevy 1500 pickup. The blower motor will not come on at all. It is still pulling current from the vehicles electrical system because when you turn the blower on the lights dim. It just wont blow any air. It all worked perfect one day, no symptoms and then nothing the next. I really need to use my defroster in this cold weather... please help... thanks in advance.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does it work if you hit the blower motor?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:52 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

nope. well, I havent taken the cover off and hit it, but ive whacked the cover pretty good.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Typically, if the brushes and/or bearings have worn out in the blower motor, hitting it will get it going.

Does it work on any setting? Or are they all equally dead? I think the full size trucks have everything tied through the blower motor resistor, including high. But I would have to check my references to confirm. I do not have them at work with me though...

Old 02-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

their could be something jamming the motor. i would see if your getting at least 12 volts at the connector and if you are i would replace the motor becaue it is either a bruh issue like swartlkk said or somethign else is jamming it causeing it to draw high current and dim the lights.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Administrator

A shorted out blower motor resistor can still draw current like mad. Pop the electrical connection off of the blower motor and test for power there. See if you can apply power and ground to the motor to see if it turns.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:18 AM

It does not work on any setting. About 4 years ago I replaced the resistor because it would only work on high. Now it wont work at all. I am going to take the cover off and try to test the motor tonight. I may pick up a resistor too. Can a bad resistor cause it to not work at all?

Old 02-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Administrator

I have to check my references. I remember my dad's '05 K2500 losing all of the fan speeds when the resistor burnt out, but that also took with it some of the wiring in the process.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:55 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ryanmatt135
their could be something jamming the motor.
like a mouse seen them build nests in the heatercore area

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I have to check my references. I remember my dad's '05 K2500 losing all of the fan speeds when the resistor burnt out, but that also took with it some of the wiring in the process.
everytime i ever seen the resistors go out you usually still have high... unless the wires going through it are totally f'ed up

Old 02-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by abig84
everytime i ever seen the resistors go out you usually still have high... unless the wires going through it are totally f'ed up
But that is what happens on the newer (not newest) body style. It may happen on the older ones as well.

Quick Reply: Blower Motor Issues....