Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

A/C Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Beginning Member
83k5blazer is on a distinguished road
Default A/C Help

i am finally going to convert my ac to 134a how do i clean my compressor to remove all the R12. i already have bought new hoses, accumulator, and orea fest tube. what else should i replace before i recharge the system.

any help will be useful thanks

Last edited by 83k5blazer; 08-14-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point

I know i will get yelled at for this but, here's what I did to "re-charge" my system with 134a. I depressed the little air valve on the low side until the hissing stopped and then i pumped in 134a until the gauge said it was full. I just bought an at-home DIY kit at NAPA and did it in my driveway. It worked pretty dang good until my compressor stopped working. I just had that replaced and the guys at the shop recharged it for me and now it blows colder than ever. Moral of the story, it might be cheaper/easier to have someone else do it. Or better yet, ask an AC shop what is required to do a conversion. Good luck! Kudos to you for wanting to do it yourself!

Last edited by Blazers.B.Kewl; 08-14-2010 at 04:16 PM. Reason: oops..language
Old 08-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Beginning Member
83k5blazer is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. Got to have that a/c

Old 08-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Beginning Member
azaviator is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Blazers.B.Kewl
I know i will get yelled at for this but, here's what I did to "re-charge" my system with 134a. I depressed the little air valve on the low side until the hissing stopped and then i pumped in 134a until the gauge said it was full. I just bought an at-home DIY kit at NAPA and did it in my driveway. It worked pretty dang good until my compressor stopped working. I just had that replaced and the guys at the shop recharged it for me and now it blows colder than ever. Moral of the story, it might be cheaper/easier to have someone else do it. Or better yet, ask an AC shop what is required to do a conversion. Good luck! Kudos to you for wanting to do it yourself!
His compressor went out because he mixed them... Take it to a shop and pay them to flush the old oil out then recharge the system with 134a. Also, get a new o-ring set for it. Doing it this way will save you the cost (that I paid as well) of a new compressor to replace the one you destroyed. The flush will cost ~$150. Pay it now or you WILL pay it later (alongside that new compressor), it's up to you.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:10 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I know there is a cheap way out and they make a refrigerent that works in R12 systems and is like a replacement for R12. But, you have to know someone with a MACS certification to get it.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:01 PM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road

I was at Autozone the other day, and they had a retro-fit kit for r-12 to r-134 systems. It contained a small can of oil that will mix with any old r-12 oil. I didnt fully read the package, but it might be something to look into.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 94BlazerPA
I was at Autozone the other day, and they had a retro-fit kit for r-12 to r-134 systems. It contained a small can of oil that will mix with any old r-12 oil. I didnt fully read the package, but it might be something to look into.
Ya, that's probably what I used. some retro-fit thingy plus a can or two extra of refrigerant. but mine worked for a good couple years before it started killing my compressor if azaviator is correct about that (i have no idea). but when my compressor went it was a load on the engine and you could feel it...

Old 11-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Speedy_Boy is on a distinguished road
Cool

Originally Posted by Blazers.B.Kewl
You must pull a 3 stage vaccum on the system if you want it to work rite. the reason your compressor probably quit was that you didn't pull vaccum on it.