Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Cranks but battery terminals HOT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 07:15 PM
dethpenlty is on a distinguished road
Default Cranks but battery terminals HOT!

I double check plugs, wire, TDC, distributor, and rotor. Checked all ground wires. Hooked the battery back up turned the ignition on. All interior electronics are fine and terminals aren't hot. So i cranked it and it turned over about 3 times before acting as if a dead battery. Battery terminals are very hot and plastic burning smell but cant tell from where. Was thinking starter but then it wouldnt turn over at all right? What about coil or ecm?
If anyone knows what the two wires in the previous post that would be great but i think it irrelevant to my problem.

previous post:
So a couple of days ago I bought a 85 K5 305 carb.
Yesterday I changed the plugs, wires, oil, fixed the rear window problems and latch. At dark she was finally running good but i smelt burning plastic and couldn't find it.

Today was cranking like wasn't getting fuel. Dumped a little gas in there and it fired up but wouldnt stay running without throttle. So was keeping a little throttle to get it warmed up and finally run on its own. I started smelling the plastic again and the idle went rough and abruptly shut off. Smoke was coming form the positive battery terminal. Disconnected battery.
Looked around and found a green wire melted to the top of the intake on driver side. I could not find a connector for it. the wire is too short to reach the compressor like the wire next to it. There is a also another wire (yellow w/ grn stripe) running across the top but not connected to anything. possibly to the thermostat temp sensor?
I'll try to add pic of of green wire.
I taped the green wire and checked all visible grounds. Hooked a spare battery i had lying around. All electronics seemed to work. Hard crank (maybe 3-4) positive terminal HOT to touch. disconnected.
Advise? ??

Old 09-15-2010, 09:08 PM
blueblazer1982 is on a distinguished road

try jumping it with another vehicle. also look for more wires that are grounded. i had a problem similar to that on mine. the problem with mine was it would crank over and i would get a short (somewhere). then the truck would not crank. i jumped it then located the short and ever since then it has worked fine.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:22 PM
dethpenlty is on a distinguished road

so ended up being the positive cable was burnt up and bearing in the starter were worn. replaced both.