Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Crush collar bearing??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Chevyguy032 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Crush collar bearing??

Ok well my rear swp generaly went go today...took the whole skool day but i would of been bale to drive it home but the pinion flange didnt line up with the u-bolts on the driveshaft..So i am replacing the flange monday..but my shop teacher is tellin me that there is a crush collar bearing in there i got to change..could i get this part at any local auto parts store or is it a special part??

Old 02-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Crush collar bearing??

You do not need to replace that part. You only really need to replace the collar if you overtorque the pinion nut, or you do internal work on the rearend. Just take the old flange off, and replace it with the new one. Korey.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:10 PM

but is it a expensive part?? cause i heard its a servicable part??

Old 02-10-2007, 01:05 AM

Yeah, it is servicable. It is a pretty cheap part, just a few bucks. I personally would not replace it unless I was replacing pinion bearings. Sometimes though you will need to remove the carrier, then the pinion from the housing to get to the collar, because the outer pinion bearing is a semi-press fit onto the pinion, and you cannot remove the bearing until the pinion is pressed out. HTH Korey.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:16 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

If you're replacing the flange, I would do as Korey suggests. Just take off the pinion nut, remove the flange, install the replacement flange and tighten the nut. You could replace the pinion seal if you want, you'll have access to it when you remove the flange.
To replace the crush sleeve, you need to remove the axles,the carrier assembly and the pinion gear. Then you need to crush the sleeve to reset your bearing pre-load.
Your choice 15 minutes or a couple of hours work.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:56 AM

but would the crush collar be ok with the flange i am putting in now?? Its a bigger flange from the original flange thats on the rear that i put in my truck..and i would have to rip my rear out jus because the crush collar is for the yolk??

Old 02-10-2007, 05:52 PM

If the 2 rear ends are the same model, just switch the flanges and forget it. The reason you might need to remove the gears is because the bearing that is under the pinion flange IS PRESSED ON, like I stated in my last post. The only real reason you would EVER need to replace the crush collar is if you replaced the bearings, and/or the gearsets. In this case, I would fix it and forget it. I have done hundreds of jobs where I reused the crush sleeve and had NO problems. Don't worry so much and trust us here. We wouldn't steer you wrong!! Good luck ,Korey.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:03 PM

i think we got mixed up cause i changed it today without ripping apart the rear..All i did was take the pinion flange out and it was right there..now iam having trouble doing to the preload...

Old 02-12-2007, 07:53 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

So you pulled off the flange, the seal and the bearing to get to the crush sleeve right?

Old 02-12-2007, 11:02 PM

correct

Quick Reply: Crush collar bearing??