Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

in desperate need of help tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 03:24 AM
Beginning Member
scott240 is on a distinguished road
Default in desperate need of help tranny problem

I have a 94 full size blazer. It has never had any problems at all with the transmission until last tuesday. All of a sudden I left a store and when I took off I could feel as if the tranny was fighting itself as if it is binding up in first gear. Then it would stop binding up at a higher rpm but it will hold first way to long and then slam hard in second and pretty much chirp the tires if given enought gas. After that no problem with shifting or down shifting. I really need to get this figured out asap because this is my winter truck for the snow. I have read to check the throttle position sensor because this tells it when to shift or a clogged filter. I am thinking the tranny is fine just maybe a valve sticking or something in the valve body. Any suggestions?

Old 10-22-2010, 10:07 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

i like the fact that you can chirp second gear now. maybe you show leave it like that. but anyway you can check the throttle position seensor when the motor is fully hot. or just replace it. and change or check your tranny fluid and put a bottle of lucas tranny fix in it.....

Old 10-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah its the only way I can get the tires to burn rubber in my blazer. But it slams so hard I am waiting for the driveline to break. I sent my girlfriend to get some slick 50 or something like that but she came back with seafoam tranny cleaner. But that is a tranny cleaner not an additive. So should I get something else or clean it out with the seafoam

Old 10-23-2010, 02:28 PM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by scott240
Yeah its the only way I can get the tires to burn rubber in my blazer. But it slams so hard I am waiting for the driveline to break. I sent my girlfriend to get some slick 50 or something like that but she came back with seafoam tranny cleaner. But that is a tranny cleaner not an additive. So should I get something else or clean it out with the seafoam
go back and get the Lucas tranny fix. it stops hard shifting and stops cluctch slipage........

Old 12-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Beginning Member
boondoggle is on a distinguished road

Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having the exact same problem now. I'm only about a thousand miles away from a due transmission fluid/filter change. I have 95 blazer. Kind of slips - stutters through first gear and then the transmission releases with a jerk from 1st to 2nd gear. Once I get through that first episode, while the vehicle is cold, then everything shifts fine (even from 1st to 2nd) until it sits and gets cold again.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:27 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by boondoggle
Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having the exact same problem now. I'm only about a thousand miles away from a due transmission fluid/filter change. I have 95 blazer. Kind of slips - stutters through first gear and then the transmission releases with a jerk from 1st to 2nd gear. Once I get through that first episode, while the vehicle is cold, then everything shifts fine (even from 1st to 2nd) until it sits and gets cold again.
I took it to tranny shop they put it on computer and came back with it not showing anything. They told me that its probaly got a broken accumulator spring. I wasn't gonna have them fix it I just wanted to know what it was so I could fix it. I got home and pulled pan and spring but spring was fine and the piston wasn't stuck. I pulled out 1-2 shift spring to look just invade and it was fine. I couldn't figure it out so I put some tranny fix in it but that did nothing. It still does same thing I just give light throttle until it shifts into 2nd then give normal throttle. I figure I will drive it like this until tranny stops together then replace it. Tranny shop took it for test drive and said it should be fine to drive. I am not gonna spend hundreds of dollars to figure what is wrong when it would cost hundreds to fix. So might as well drive it to the ground and just do a rebuild

Old 12-13-2010, 03:35 AM
Beginning Member

Does yours just do it when the transmission is 'cold' or is it an all-the-time thing? I'm also still reading several other threads on here - this seems to be somewhat common, during cooler weather especially - guess I'll go ahead and get the fluid/filter changed and see what happens.

Last edited by boondoggle; 12-13-2010 at 03:50 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by boondoggle
Does yours just do it when the transmission is 'cold' or is it an all-the-time thing? I'm also still reading several other threads on here - this seems to be somewhat common, during cooler weather especially - guess I'll go ahead and get the fluid/filter changed and see what happens.
Mine happens all the time it doesn't matter about temp

Old 12-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Beginning Member

We just dug out from the snow. I took off out of the drive and down the road with no problems today. Will go ahead and change the fluid/filter and keep an eye on it. I appreciate your coming back to this thread. I'll probably be hanging around here for awhile. Have another issue losing coolant internally. Good luck!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:42 AM
Beginning Member

If you are loosing coolant. Just a thought check your tranny fluid. There could be a chance that your coolant could be leaking in to your tranny fluid through your radiator. Just a thought not sure if possible but your tranny cooler is in your radiator. That could cause shifting problem. I checked mine because I have been smelling coolant but no leaks.

Quick Reply: in desperate need of help tranny problem