Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

fish tank in the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 03:30 AM
Beginning Member
blazed1 is on a distinguished road
Default fish tank in the dash?

Hi guys. stats.. 93 full size 2dr 5spd 5.7 ltr 4x4..
Ok, So sometimes it sounds like I have a fish tank in my dash board. the previous owner said it has always been this way. if the truck sits a bit and then I go out to leave and take my first turn, I can clearly hear coolent sloshing around. I also think that the louder it is indicates how low I am on coolent I.E when it seemed it's loudest I over heated on a short trip. then after adding a gallon of coolent it's not as loud. i'd imagine that has to do with displacement. any way. what's up with all this?
other wise it's been a great truck so far.

Bonus round..
I keep getting told that my blazer is super rare. any one know how to find out how many were made and what number mine may be? thanks
Vin# 1GNEK18K7PJ406767 Thanks for any help.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:28 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to find out why you keep losing coolant, it's going somewhere. The sloshing sound is caused by either low coolant level, a plugged/partially plugged heater core, or air trapped in the coolant system.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:35 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm guessing the fact that it's a manual makes it " more rare" the sport utilities started to become more difficult to get in manual transmissions.

Check the RPO codes in the glove box, write em down and search the forum for "RPO decoder" that'll give you some clues.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:22 PM
AllenEM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fish tank

try burbing the coolant system the new body style the coolant for the heater does not run from the water pump like the older body style did and so if it gets air in the line it will do that.

remove one of the hoses and run water thru it until full. if I remember right one goes to the rad. and the other the intake.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:01 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Do you ever smell antifreeze? You more than likely have a small coolant leak. Check the underside of the water pump for evidence of a leak out of the bottom weep hole. Also check the passenger side floor under the carpet for evidence of the heater core leaking. The intake gasket is another suspect as well as the heater hose tube at the back of the intake.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Beginning Member

according to my records, the shop that has done most of the work found a coolent leak sometime ago and noted it as r/s freze plug.And now that i am more aware of the fact that i have a small leak i can be a little more diligent about keeping an eye on it.

my passengers floor board is dry. I think it may be more along the lines of the air bubble you all spoke of.

I will look into these numbers in the glove box too, thanks >.<

Old 05-05-2009, 01:09 AM
Beginning Member

Oh,, and if it makes any of yall feel better too. I have no plans of lifting// modding// or generally accessory mollesting this vehicle. I would like to keep it as nice and clean as i can.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:58 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by AllenEM
try burbing the coolant system the new body style the coolant for the heater does not run from the water pump like the older body style did and so if it gets air in the line it will do that.

remove one of the hoses and run water thru it until full. if I remember right one goes to the rad. and the other the intake.
ok, i get what you are getting at, but i don't get how it would work. if i pull off a hose and hit it with water, would'nt it just poor back out? is this something I can do by running it with the rad cap off, and waiting till the thermo opens up and pooring in moor coolent as needed? or will this not achieve the same desired result?