Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

FRONT U-JOINT Replacement ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:37 AM
fronix5000 is on a distinguished road
Default FRONT U-JOINT Replacement ISSUE

Hey guys. I am working on replacing the Driver's side U Joint on my 83 K5 4WD. I am having issues getting to the u-joint. I've removed the Axel Nut (34mm) and the top three nuts on the hub, and the callper is removed.

It appears to me that I'll need to remove another nut that is located inside the axel case, just underneath the u-joint. There is very little clearance in there, so i cannot use socket, cannot use box end wrench. It appears it could be a 26 or 7 mm...but I can't get a bite on the nut with the open end wrench, so I do not know for sure yet.

Before I buy more tools, is there something I'm doing wrong? Do I need to go on a quest to remove that nut? OR...does the shaft pull out thru the hub instead?

Thanks for any input....killin myself on this one.

does anyone have any tips on removing the lower nut that is located inside the u joint housing? I have everything else removed, but cannot get to the nut to remove it. The third pic is a pic of the nut under the u-joint. The nut is on the lower ball joint.

Attached Thumbnails FRONT U-JOINT Replacement ISSUE-p1010539.jpg   FRONT U-JOINT Replacement ISSUE-p1010540.jpg   FRONT U-JOINT Replacement ISSUE-p1010541.jpg  

Last edited by fronix5000; 11-21-2010 at 11:33 AM. Reason: adding images
Old 11-21-2010, 10:08 AM

so i guess it is more of a bottom line question: how do you remove the Drivers side U joint at the axel?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Starting Member
robertr728 is on a distinguished road

Its 2010 maybe some pics would help? But your gonna have to remove the hub and spindle to get the axle out to change the u-joint.

By the way there is a edit button no need to double post.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:31 AM

Thanks for reply, I have now added some pics. SO the nut DOES need to be removed? Anyone have an idea of the size? It seems to be around a 27mm. But there is not enough clearance due to the slope of the housing..there is about one eighth inch clearance on the inner side and the top. SO you can't get it with closed end, socket, or standard monkey.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Starting Member

Ive included a few pics too. Is this the correct instructions and exploded view of your axle? If so it says you dont need to remove the ball joint to remove the axle. You remove the spindle nuts and spindle.

Attached Thumbnails FRONT U-JOINT Replacement ISSUE-1.jpg   FRONT U-JOINT Replacement ISSUE-2.jpg  
Old 11-21-2010, 03:56 PM

looks a lot like that. According to that diagram, the piece I'm suffering is the lower ball stud nut. I'm going to look at it again, see if the spindle comes off that way.

THanks for taking the time to help out...much appreciated. I'll go to the basement now and take another stab at it.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Starting Member

OK so if its the lower ball joint then according to the directions the spindle will come off. Then you can slide out the axle assuming you have taken apart the front differential and removed c clips. I believe that axle has c clips in the front. After the axle is out you can replace u joints and ball joint will come apart then if needed.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:52 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

you dont need to remove the ball joint bolts to get the axle shaft out of there. if you got the rotor off. take off the 6 bolts that are holding the spindle in place. now im sure that thing is rotted on there and youre either gonna have to smack it with a plastic or rubber hammer. i even had to use a air chisel the other day to get one off. then the axle shaft will right out. sometimes though the caps will slip out just a hair, ive seen it happen maybe twice then you have to get in there with a grinder and grind them down a bit. which really doesnt matter cause youre gonna replace it anyways.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Default thanks guys

hmmmm....I'm gonna try this when i get home. i only saw three spindle bolts...maybe the others are covered up with rust. so what you are saying is the hub basically separates from the axle, and the spline and ujoint slide thru the hole there. makes sense.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:01 PM
blueblazer1982 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by fronix5000
hmmmm....I'm gonna try this when i get home. i only saw three spindle bolts...maybe the others are covered up with rust. so what you are saying is the hub basically separates from the axle, and the spline and ujoint slide thru the hole there. makes sense.
take off your hub cover. the allens. take the outer snap ring out. then thread a few allen bolts back into the hub. and slowly pull out. then you need a special wheel bearing socket. there is 2 preloads. then the rotor and wheel bearings will pull off with the rotor. take off the rock shield. then you're gonna need an axle shaft puller if it has been in there awhile. the entire axle shaft will slide out with u-joint.

Quick Reply: FRONT U-JOINT Replacement ISSUE