Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Gas? Air? Mixture?!? HELP!! lol

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:13 PM
drewski120 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gas? Air? Mixture?!? HELP!! lol

OK the 1974 K5 blazer, 383, RV cam, flathead pistons, new ignition system(coil, distributor, and plugs/plug wires), and a 600 CFM Carter AFB performance series carburetor...

Problem im having is starting, when i pump the gas pretty good it WILL turn over, but unless i keep just the exact right amount of pressure on the gas pedal it will do one of two things...backfire loudly(which includes fire exiting thru the carburetor, NOT GOOD im guessing)...is this a mixture issue or what?

Is there a troubleshooter i need to follow or what? lol

Thanks for the help

Old 04-07-2008, 01:38 AM
BigBlack73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Gas? Air? Mixture?!? HELP!! lol

the backfire would most likely be from the carb gettin loaded up a bit. i would say your gettin to much air to your carb, considering you have to give it an equal amount of gas to go with air for it to start. almost like the carb isn't choked enough when first starting it. if it's automatic choke, then your getting the correct amount of air, your probably just getting not enough gas. which could mean your idle is set too low, or your fuel pump is gettin worn out. if it's manual choke, make sure it's choked enough when starting it. if none of this has made any difference, i would, as said before, mess with the idle a bit and see what happens. shoulda got a edelbrock 1400 series lol.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would venture a guess that this has to do with your timing post as well. Intake backfires can be caused by having the spark too advanced.

If you are having to hold the throttle open a bit, I would have to wonder what your choke fast idle is set at and if it is proper. You may have to pump the carb a bit to get some fuel into the intake, but you shouldn't have to hold the throttle 'just right' to get it to start after that.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:52 PM

It is a manual choke, gonna try some of the stuff mentioned and will post back...lemme know if you think of anything else please.

Thank You

Old 04-07-2008, 11:12 PM

Ok so i tinkered with it for HOURS today...i put the two adjustment screws on the front alllll the way in and tried to start it and then just slowly took the screws out half a turn at a time trying to get it adjusted but i just cant get this thing to stay running...i was going to adjust the idle but this carb has the wierdest throtle cable in the world and i cant figure out how to adjust the idle...urghhhh headache..

Old 04-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

THIS link may help... All I could find short of buying a book on the Carter AFB carbs.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:29 PM

Hmmm thanks Kyle, really appriciate the help...dunno what im gonna do yes but ill just keep tryin i guess.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:13 AM
BigBlack73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn... sorrry man, if anything else pops into my head i'll definitely let ya know. i'm not familiar with carter carbs at all.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:24 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I just checked the link that swartlkk sent you and I would have given similar answers as #3 & #4.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:55 AM

The biggest problem i'm having right now is the truck wont even run at idle...so i cant adjust the carb at all with knowledge of how the engine is running at each setting...so its all guess work really...I've considered a new carb but i really dont have the money for all that right now, one thing i noticed thats odd to me and once again makes me think its gottttta be a idle adjustment...if i get it to turn over and hit it hard on the gas, talkin like 2000 rpms, it will stay going(doesnt really have a choice right? lol) but that just does not seem right at all...but granted im a 17 y/o self-taught mechanic here so my skills/experience, is very limited...thanks again for all your helps guys.

Quick Reply: Gas? Air? Mixture?!? HELP!! lol