Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Beginning Member
t.lyttle is on a distinguished road
Default headers

does anyone know of a good site i can go to to get legal aftermarket headers for my 1990 K5....i have went to all the major websights and havent liked what they have...was hoping someone knew of another site.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Beginning Member
mikeknuckey is on a distinguished road

Did you see DougThorley.com I saw some of them stuff working very well.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:45 PM
nashs1988 is on a distinguished road
Question 1988 K5 headers

I just recently put headers on my 1988 K5 it has TBI and i put a brand new O2 sensor on it and it runs really rich and backfires and runs rough, does anyone know the problem, everything else is good, plugs,wires, it ran great b4 i put the headers on!! IM STUCK please help?

Old 05-31-2009, 07:54 PM
Beginning Member

im haveing that same problem thinking headers might help after reading your reply im not so sure

Old 06-01-2009, 03:27 AM
Smile

LOL i feel so stupid!!! i had the 2 of the plug wires crossed, i read the markings i put on them wrong!! If you do it the right way you dont have to change anything, i just thought it was the o2 sensor but i slapped on the headers and fixed the plug wire problem and it sounds like a beauty!! Go for the Headers t.lyttle its a good investment!! i got mine on Craigslist for 50 bones and a weld on bung for the o2 sensor for $2.00! good luck, i hope its the same problem as i had!

Old 06-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Headers should not result in any operational problems with your truck unless installed incorrectly or caused something else to be installed/connected improperly as the case here. Glad you got your problem figured out nash, but a new thread would have been more appropriate to discuss that issue as to not take this thread into a different discussion.

As far as headers for your 1990 K5 go, I just did a quick search on SummitRacing.com and had a ton of options pop up, 157 options for headers alone.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Beginning Member

yeah i went on summit but the ones that are legal are really expensive and the cheap ones are made from crap material i guess im gonna have to suck it up and pay for quality....thanks

Old 06-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I had a cheap set of Hooker Competition headers on my Chevelle for many years. I put a set on my K5 just recently. I could care less about them getting some surface rust on them, but I have been happy with their build quality and for $130 for the set...

Does VA have some restrictions on this? You should not be defeating any of the emissions stuff aside from the nifty little valve on the passenger side which is one of the first things people toss.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Beginning Member

yeah va sucks when it comes to emissions they check them every ear when i get my state inspection done but im moving before december so i think ill just get the ones i want....

Old 06-02-2009, 12:38 AM

sorry about that! i was just dumbfounded and excited!

Quick Reply: headers