Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Help With 82 K5 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Starting Member
BradsBlazer1 is on a distinguished road
Default Help With 82 K5 Blazer

Hello everyone im 16 years old and i just recently bought a black 2wd 82 K5 Blazer now this is one of my favorite vehicles but i need some advice! It had originally a diesel and it got converted befor i bought it and it now has a 350 in it and honestly i wish it had more power if theres any cheap ways to get more power out of this please help also i need some opinions on wether in the next year if i should drop it and put a airbag system in it

Old 06-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Nak
Beginning Member
Nak is on a distinguished road

As far as dropping it, nobody can really advise you. Do you like lowered vehicles? If you do, go or it. What anyone else thinks shouldn't matter.

More power wise, it all depends on what the 350 is like now. If it's a 2 barrel carb, a good 4 barrel and manifold will add a good chunk of power. If the air cleaner is very restrictive, a K&N setup can release a few hidden ponies. A good tune up will help a lot if it hasn't had one. Other than that, horsepower costs money, not too much cheap that can be done. I guess it all depends on your definition of cheap...

Old 06-26-2012, 08:13 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

find out what rear axle ratio you have in that thing too. alot of k5s came with 273 gear ratios. putting a 373 gear in the back will be like putting a turbo on that thing

Old 06-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Starting Member
BradsBlazer1 is on a distinguished road

Well i do like lowerd suvs but id rather have a lifted but since it 2wd i wouldnt lift it and hear ill refraise it whats the easiest fastest way to gain horsepower

Old 06-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Nak
Beginning Member
Nak is on a distinguished road

OK, again it depends on where you are now. What's your gearing? What type of exhaust? What kind of carb and intake? What's your skill and do you have friends or family who will help who know what they're doing? How much are you willing to spend?

If you have 2.73 gears, find a good rear end at a wrecking yard with 3.73 or 4.11 gears. If you have a 2 barrel carb, go with a good 4 barrel and aftermarket intake manifold. If you've got money left a new cam and exhaust.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Beginning Member
Xb-lineblazerX is on a distinguished road

keep the cam, it was built f0r l0w end and t0rque which is much better f0r a big truck, new v0rtec heads maybe 64cc chambers will b00st y0ur p0wer substancially but will c0st atleast $500-$600

Old 07-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Beginning Member
paulrees866 is on a distinguished road

Okay, here's what I would do. Get a set of drop spindals to lower front and leave rear alone. Drive it like it is and have another engine built to it. Plan it all out before ordering anything. Figure regearing rear axle 3.73 gears will be good. Next figure what stall speed for stall converter. That is determanded by how radical your new engine is. A 383 stroker with around 10 to 1 compression, set of. Dart 2 Sportsman heads with matching intake manifold, Comp Cams magnum series like the 280-H

Old 07-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Starting Member
THePaRaSiTE5771 is on a distinguished road

Replace plugs, wires, cap rotor, fuel filter, etc. Install K&N Air Filter. Throw on an edelbrock 4 barrel carb.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 AM
70-K5 is on a distinguished road

Fastest way to gain HP is with a blue bottle... Throw a 150hp shot of NOS on it and then save up for a new motor.

The good news is you're building a SBC, the most popular motor of all time.
Because you are building a street motor the advice from the "truck" guys might not be the right advise. I have built my motors for the low revving torque needed for grunting up hillsides and over boulders. You're building a street motor to run the 1/4 and impress your friends with a killer burnout.

Earlier advise on determining your axle ratio should be your first step. Pull the cover, replace the fluid and get yourself familiar with your spider gears because you will be replacing them once you blow them up doing burnouts in the church parking lot.

The second thing that you should look at doing is changing the cam. Nothing to radical at first, call Comp Cams or similar manufacturer and tell them what you're doing and they will give you the right one. There is a ton of science and physics behind cam selection so don't think that you need to pick the biggest lift or the longest duration, just stick with what they recommend. Later you can start swapping heads and get some 1.7 rockers with higher pressure valve springs and high rise manifolds and blowers and all sorts of stuff... Start reasonable with projects that you can accomplish and won't blow your budget.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Banned
truckeez is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BradsBlazer1
Well i do like lowerd suvs but id rather have a lifted but since it 2wd i wouldnt lift it and hear ill refraise it whats the easiest fastest way to gain horsepower
Save your parttime job money and swap it out for a 2003-up 5.3 and matching tranz, they got much more power than the old style sbc!