Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 01:47 AM
Starting Member
Blazerchik is on a distinguished road
Red face Help!!

Hi,
I am buying a 89 chevy k5 1500 and i know nothing about them. I've never worked on one before and don't know much but the mere basics. I want to do some work myself as I am pretty good at that sorta thing. I haven't a clue as to where to begin. I want to learn about this truck as much as I can so I don't get duped into buying one not worth it. I've been doing research on it as well but I need as much info as I can get that's why I joined the forum. Being that I am a female I don't want to get tricked. So if you all could drop a line as to things I should look for when buying that would be great. I don't want to do a full on restoration but I don't mind simple stuff. Thanx in advance.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:30 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum. PLEASE find an expert mechanic (that you trust) to test drive and inspect the truck. They WILL find problems. Get estimates on those repairs and deduct those costs from the asking price. Sellers usually fix the "simple stuff" before they sell to drive up the price.

Your enthusiasm is great and I don't want a bad experience to hamper it. Give us all the details you can and we can help you find out what you're getting into.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:48 AM
Starting Member
Blazerchik is on a distinguished road

Hey Rusty Nuts, thank you for the info. The problem is that I do not have a trusted mechanic. I did have one when I owned a maxima but he is no longer around. I guess I better start looking for a new one. I have a friend who owns a k5 who knows all about them but he doesn't live in my state. So I'm kinda on my own. I'm going to start looking for someone close to help if I can. Anyway I'll keep you guys posted. And thanx again.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:30 PM
donjuaniii is on a distinguished road

Did you get the Blazer...so weird, because I just bought a 89 K5 Blazer and did a lot of research before the sale...I like to check the RPO codes against what is really on the vehicle. Good way to tell if there has been any drastic changes, etc.