Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Help for Headlights please

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 04:34 PM
scott ohman is on a distinguished road
Default Help for Headlights please

I have a 1984 K5 Blazer all lights work except
headlights. I used a test light and seem to not have power to the HL. I look at my chiltons manual and it states that all models have a circuit breaker in the headlight switch, so how do you reset the circuit brereaker? or do i need to replace the switch? Please help.

my other car was totaled recently in a rear end crash and have to use this vehicle as a primary vehicle.
Thank you, Scott

Last edited by scott ohman; 01-10-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Beginning Member
trustyrusty is on a distinguished road

I have the Hayes manual and it shows no circuit breaker in the switch, just a fuse in the fuse box. I would say to check voltage before and after the switch to determine if it is the switch, and if so just replace it. $20 part @ LMC or try other sources.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:26 PM

Thank you so much for responding.
I replaced the switch to try an resolve it today. Unfortunataly they still don't work and my test light does not show there is power to the headlight plug-in's.
I don't have a volt meter to find out what power is coming into the switch. what I don't get is that all the other light work?
any ideas?

Old 01-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Beginning Member

Do you get anything on high or low beams?
You can still use your test light at the switch to check for voltage, Just connect the ground wire to metal ground somewhere handy.( make sure it works before doing all these steps by checking at a known good power source)
Orange is voltage in +12v, and should be good as you have parking lights.
Brown is voltage out to parking lights. Should have voltage with switch in park or head.
Yellow or Lt. Blue is voltage out to dimmer switch and should only have voltage in the head position of the switch.
The dimmer switch might be your problem and can be easy fix or hard on depending on where it is mounted.(Floor=easy-----Column=PITA) Either way the wires coming out of the dimmer are light green and tan. I'm not sure which is high or low but just check both. Check for voltage there also with your light.
The last scenario I can think of is Jethro hacked up some wiring installing off-road lights and there might be some relays that were left half a$$ connected.(Lets hope this is not the situation.
If you find that the dimmer is at fault and cannot find a replacement right away, you could just temporarily hook the lights up to a SPDT toggle switchin place of the dimmer that is rated @ at least 20A.
Let me know what you find.

Last edited by trustyrusty; 01-10-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Default Thank you for your help

I wanted to get back to you, Thank you again for taking your time to help me out. I went out this morning and tested the wires coming into the dimmer switch and found I had power. So I pulled the plug off the back an used a fused wire set up to bypass the switch and was able to get my headlights to work. So I thought the switch was bad, so after removing the switch I plugged it back in and found that it worked fine. Then I figured out the bracket its mounted with is slotted and had some how slipped down so that the rod coming from steering column was not in the correct position. So I just put it back together and adjusted the bracket position so that it activated the switch correctly. Funny how it was something so simple. Again Thank you,

Old 01-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Beginning Member

Glad you got it sorted out. Those little details can be a real bugger at times.