Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Khaos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!

Well I guess my timing chain went out on my 77 K5. I have never done this. I've done everything else in the past. What do I need to do and, How much am I looking at.

I don't relly know for sure, My dad listened to it and he told me it was the timing chain.

The other morning I started it up but didn't let it warm up. I turned around in the drive across the street, backed up, then put it into drive and it died. wouldn't start back up.

I need my baby back, Any info would be wonderful.

Thank you
Jason M Adams[&:]

Old 12-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!

I'd first make sure you have proper fuel and spark to the engine. You could do a compression test to find out if you messed up the timing chain. If you jumped timing, then you shouldn't get anywhere near proper compression. If compression checks out fine (check all cylinders), then you need to look elsewhere.

*Moving to Full Size Tech*

Old 12-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Khaos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hoping its an easy one. Thanks

Old 12-02-2007, 09:12 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Like Kyle says, check the compression. I've pulled the distributor cap off and cranked the engine over before to see if the rotor is turning.
If you have an old style cam gear, they have nylon on the teeth that wear out and break off, (it's the rear gear on the cam that drives the distributor), make sure to flush out the oil pan if the nylon wore off the cam gear.
Let us know what you find with the compression test.
I love the old V8 engines, there's lots of room for workin' on them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/855DA9EF6ADB47C6AEF6A90C13EF4E7C.jpg[/IMG]