Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

holley 502-6 tbi vs stock on 1988 k5

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:19 PM
nolan1988k5 is on a distinguished road
Default holley 502-6 tbi vs stock on 1988 k5

my stock rochester throttle body injection is leaking on the top of the injectors. I was wondering if the performance holley tbi part # 502-6 is any good, or should i just get the stock replacement rochester tbi part # 17087101. any suggestion help, thanks

Old 02-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just rebuild your current TBI unit? The Holley units can be somewhat problematic to tune properly.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:34 PM

I was going to have mine rebuild, but it cost about the same to get a new one instead. I have heard some bad reviews on the holley, so do you think that it would be better to just get a new rochester? I dont know how much i beleive the 25% increase in power and fuel economy the holley supposely has.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The stock ECU isn't very forgiving. Many have problems with the tune when they go to the holley TBI unit. This can be solved by getting your ECU tuned to account for the change, but if this is just your daily driver, I wouldn't mess with things. There are some tricks that can be done with the stock TBI unit.

If you can get a reman unit for a similar amount of money, go that route. It all depends on what is wrong with yours now. If it is just a gasket or o-ring, you may be able to fix it real cheap.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:30 PM

Are the remanufactured rochester just as good as a new one. where would be the best place to get one.

it is more than just the o rings, the throttle linkage is also ovaled out, but i am going to replace the o rings and gaskets today

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-17-2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Worn throttle shaft bores aren't all that difficult to fix either, nor are the bushings expensive. A drill press, drill bit, and some creative patience is all that is needed.

As far as where to get them or how good remanufactured is vs new... I would say that remanufactured are just as good as new provided things were done properly. The potential for defects exists with both. Not too sure where to get them from.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:06 PM

i will see if i can fix mine. i found this tbi unit on ebay, what do you think about it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-...Q5fAccessories

thanks

Old 02-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Administrator

I would read through all of the seller's feedback to make sure...

Old 02-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Mighty Mouse is on a distinguished road

Just go get a rebuild kit and rebuild your own. Not much to them, heck, my wife has rebuilt them already.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Beginning Member
greendouglash is on a distinguished road

I just bought a rebuilt tbi from this guy here on ebay, http://motors.shop.ebay.com/jillnjam...1&_from=&_ipg= They worked with me when I had accidentally bought the wrong one, they switched out the wrong one for the right one and shipped the correct one to me. I'll let you know how it goes when I actually get it and get it installed.

Quick Reply: holley 502-6 tbi vs stock on 1988 k5