Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Howdy and any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 10:17 PM
2gunswest is on a distinguished road
Default Howdy and any suggestions?

Howdy, I'm new here and looking for help.

I've got a 92 k15 with a 350 TBI. All my problems started the day I bought this truck. It ran strong on the test drive and on the way home. Halfway home we had torrential rains roll through, I mean 5 inches in an hour. I went through a few huge puddles, slowly of course and stopped for fuel. I put 40 bucks of midgrade in it and that's where the problems started.

The truck started sputtering and stalling on the way home. It died for good and I figured there was something seriously wrong so I walked home.

The next day I changed out the plugs, wires, rotor, distributor cap, air filter and made sure there was no water in the cylinders. There was very little water in cylinder #3. I removed that and sprayed a small amount of sea foam into each cylinder to make sure the rings were lubed.

It started and ran like total crap, sputtering and bogging the 1 mile home. It died literally pulling up my driveway. I then did an oil and filter change and changed the fuel filter out. It wouldn't start. Over the next few days I replaced the TPS, rebuilt the TBI, replaced the oil pressure switch and drained the fuel and replaced the fuel pump. I also had the ignition module checked(which checked good), and replaced the battery.

The truck was VERY hard to start after all that, but with my Wife starting and feathering the gas pedal and me applying some starting fluid we got her running. It ran pretty well after a little bit of throttle feathering. Then it threw a code 43 which is electronic spark control failure according to the scanner. It also started to overheat. The water pump is fairly new and the radiator cap is now new.

I am still having hard to start problems, well, it won't start without starting fluid and is hard to keep running.

Anyone have any information that might assist me getting this truck running?

Also, it does not blow smoke. It get's hot sitting and the oil has a slight gasoline odor. Head gaskets blown?

Thanks for reading.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:39 AM
2gunswest is on a distinguished road

Update,

I've since replaced the Coolant Temperature sensor and the EGR valve. The truck runs excellent now.

Thanks for reading.