Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

I need training to work on my new 74 Blazer!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:45 PM
William Pessoa is on a distinguished road
Default I need training to work on my new 74 Blazer!!!!

I have gotten this great car and I want to work on it, but i cannot find goor references or training courses.

Do you guys have something I can try...

My first projects are:
1) Install the Power wondow motor for the back window
2) Install Porwer Windows
3) Install Power Locks
4) Install Headers...

Attached Thumbnails I need training to work on my new 74 Blazer!!!!-p1120017.jpg   I need training to work on my new 74 Blazer!!!!-p1120072.jpg   I need training to work on my new 74 Blazer!!!!-p1120061.jpg   I need training to work on my new 74 Blazer!!!!-p1120071.jpg  
Old 01-05-2012, 11:39 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

*Moved from another member's build thread to K5 tech*

Old 01-06-2012, 03:55 AM
Starting Member
Dano01 is on a distinguished road

That is a nice looking Blazer

Old 01-06-2012, 10:57 AM
William Pessoa is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Dano01
That is a nice looking Blazer
Thanks!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:25 PM
New Project K5 is on a distinguished road

My 1st blazer was a 74, no power anything, it was a great truck. Stay away from the power stuff its just more stuff to work on.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:42 AM
70-K5 is on a distinguished road

You didn't just get a car... that's a Blazer, more commonly referred to as a truck... You got one nice looking truck there!

Last edited by 70-K5; 01-20-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:17 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by New Project K5
My 1st blazer was a 74, no power anything, it was a great truck. Stay away from the power stuff its just more stuff to work on.
And Bicycles are even simpler.. got even less stuff to work on.

Dont listen to people like this.. you'll never learn anything. When you're sixty you'll still be proudly bolting on new shiny carburetors.

First thing to do is practice doing searches on the net.
And google does a better job finding stuff than search on here. type site:blazerforum.com after the search term.
And the search term should be direct.
74 chevy truck power window wiring
When you do the ggogle search then you click 'images' and look through them

or..
k5 power window wiring site:blazerforum.com
will get you any results from here that are relevant.

Training: Here's a site I stumbled on by -gasp- doing a google search for something else.
http://www.familycar.com/Classroom/

Last edited by pettyfog; 01-20-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:41 PM

Pettyfog, I can see how your instructions on using the search function can help new members find some good information. I appreciate help like this.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be putting power everything into my '74 when I get around to it. It is the opposite way for those with power everything though due mainly to inadequacies of the stock systems. Take the tailgate motor for instance. Even when the motor is working, the twist cable they used often will fail leaving you with an inoperative window. It isn't fun working inside the truck to get the rear window down! I plan on trying to upgrade that cable along with the wiring. With the wiring, I'll be redoing it such that the switch will activate a set of relays for up & down operation. I will also be installing a dedicated ground to the motor bracket which is also a problem. The safety switch will be wired through the low current side of the circuit and will likely be a sealed micro-switch instead of the factory setup.

You'll need to get wiring diagrams from the newer trucks that came with power windows/locks/etc if you are looking to do it. I'm using parts from a '90 Suburban (including the engine & possibly the 700R4 trans) so I just went to good ole eBay and purchased the factory service manuals for the '90. I think I paid $25 for the full set a year or so ago. Deals come up from time to time. I have the full illustrated parts list & part number listing books for the early 2nd gen K5s as well as the full factory service manual sets for my '74. Lots of good info in those books for sure!

Old 01-20-2012, 03:23 PM

I went the exact opposite. In fact the manual tailgate was too much for my 86... I've got a truck tailgate on it now. Bolts right up and with a softtopper there is no need to be carrying around the window anyways!

Even found one the right color!

Quick Reply: I need training to work on my new 74 Blazer!!!!