Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Issue with some gauges on 84 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Beginning Member
84_K5 is on a distinguished road
Default Issue with some gauges on 84 Blazer

I’m trying to get a few gauges working (actually all of them J ) … Any help would be much appreciate.

Temp – the temp sending unit is missing on the side on the block – driver’s side. I can pop one in no problem – my question is what wire goes to it? ( I noticed a green wire (not being used) in the bundle that goes to the alternator, I’m guessing this is the wire?)

Oil Pressure – the gauge works erratically - when I rev up the motor it seems to register a more consistent number. Any ideas?

Fuel gauge - Works ok and accurate when the truck is full of gas. However, once it gets near half a tank, the gauge starts bouncing past the full mark and back again.

Volts – care the least about this one. But it seems to move a little when I turn the key, then sits back down.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Temp Sending Unit - Are you sure the wire is green. I had a difficult time finding the proper wiring diagram, but it my references show this wire as yellow. I am not 100% that it is correct though. It should be a side slip on type terminal

Oil Pressure Gauge - could be an erratic sending unit. It is fairly easy and cheap to replace.

Fuel gauge - Sounds like you are experiencing some sloshing of fuel inside the tank that is making the sensor readings erratic.

Volt Meter - With the key-on/engine-off and some electrical load (headlights, radio, etc), the volt meter should read battery voltage (~12.5V for a fully charged battery). When the truck is started, the volt meter should read 13.5V-14.5V. If it does not, you should check the voltage at the circuit breaker. Also check the voltage at the back of the cluster. If both of these locations show the proper voltage, then the gauge is faulty.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Beginning Member

"Oil Pressure Gauge - could be an erratic sending unit. It is fairly easy and cheap to replace"

Where is a good place to purchase this? what is the name of this sending unit?

Old 12-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Any autoparts store should have it. And it is called the Oil Pressure Sending Unit...

Old 12-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Beginning Member

thanks, dumb question... but where is the unit located ?

Old 12-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Back rail of the engine block between the distributor and the driver side valve cover.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Beginning Member

thanks, I'm guessing it isn't hard to change. No special tools?

Old 12-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Administrator

It depends on the access available. It shouldn't be difficult to get at with a wrench. They do make a special extra deep socket for this, but you should be able to get onto it with an open ended wrench.