Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

need to find a new dash switch for rear power window '84 k5

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Beginning Member
bigghoss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need to find a new dash switch for rear power window '84 k5

the switch for the rear power window in my '84 K5 just broke. I went to all three parts stores and none of them can find it and I couldn't find it from LMC either. the regulator cable is broken so the dash switch is the only way I have to get the window down right now. guess I'll order a new cable once I get another switch and can get the window working.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:20 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Wow... LMC doesn't have it... that's odd because they've got all the door switches... hmmm.

They should have the regulator cable tho.

But you should call up some junkyard and pick-n-pulls. I think one from a 73-91 should work.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Beginning Member

yeah been to the only junkyard in town and they don't have anything. my google-foo is no match for this opponent. I can kinda work the switch with a small screwdriver but I'm not sure how many more times that's going to work. guess I could order the cable to get the key switch working while I hunt for the dash switch. I wanted to just get a whole tailgate with a manual window but no such luck.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:43 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Okay, then check craiglist. sometimes there will be people parting out their K5s.

I wonder if you could use a regular toggle switch from AutoZone... Like a 3 position one. On-Off-On... Double Throw... I don't know what else they are called.

Search: on off on toggle switch | Toggle Switch | AutoZone.com

Old 10-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Beginning Member

I could but I'd have to cut off the plug for the switch and then figure out how to make it fit the gaping hole in my dash

Old 10-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Beginning Member

well in my search I found 3 websites that have "tailgate release switches" for my blazer and they say it's for the rear window but it looks like the power window switch for the door and mine doesn't look anything like that. I did totally forget that there are 2 chevy dealers in town so maybe they might have it or I could try one of the other type of switch and maybe it will at least fit the hole in the dash even if I have to wire it, or as a last resort I could use a generic switch and make some kind of plate to fit over the factory hole.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:04 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bigghoss
I could but I'd have to cut off the plug for the switch and then figure out how to make it fit the gaping hole in my dash
yeah pretty much. thats what i did too. the only thing i didnt like about the toggle too is it didnt return. so if you hit the switch and didnt notice it can burn up your motor.

ive seen other posts about this too. for all the k5s i threw away over the year i wish i would have hung on to a few of those. i probably do have one somewhere but wouldnt even know where to look

Old 10-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Starting Member
Dano01 is on a distinguished road

Autozone sell momentary switch kind of like the one that is from the factory. You hold down and then it returns back to normal position until pressed again.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Beginning Member

some guys on coloradok5 have pointed me in the right direction. one guy found a switch that is a momentary 3 postition (on)-off-(on) so it works like the original and actually fits the bezel so I'll have to order that and cut the factory plug off. the wiring is easy but I was worried about the mounting but this one is supposed to fit the factory location perfect.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:15 PM

Where'd he find the switch? Just in case another person asks.

Quick Reply: need to find a new dash switch for rear power window '84 k5